Chapter Four

Mornings on the farm always reminded me of my childhood. When I was nine, I'd wake up early to join the rooster's morning call. Now, I barely bother. Everything feels hazy, but mornings here used to be full of adventure, with endless activities that kept me busy until the end of the day.

Peeking out the window, I marveled at the changes Aunt had made to the place. She'd added a tennis court and other recreational facilities, perfect for the upcoming festival season, which was starting in a week and a half.

The festival was a week-long celebration of entertainment and recreation. Artists from all over the Creek region would come to the countryside to showcase their talents and play music for the people. This event was especially beneficial to the host, as they earned a significant amount from ticket sales and property rentals.

I got out of bed, freshened up, and went downstairs to the kitchen, hoping breakfast would be ready. Then it hit me. "Oh wait!" I said to myself, "I almost forgot I'm the early bird around here." Back home, I'm usually the last one to wake up.

I started preparing bacon and eggs, a quick breakfast option. As I was finishing, Mell came in and helped me set the table and wake up Aunt Rosa. After we finished eating and doing the dishes, we started talking about boys, as we always did. Mell mentioned something about Christian being around and having a girlfriend nearby. She said he visited the girl every week during summer vacation.

She knew how I felt about him, so I brushed it off as her usual way of trying to annoy me. After that, Mell and I started planning for the festival season, contacting catering services and making bookings for the coming weeks. We worked under so much pressure all day that I didn't even get a chance to ask Mell if she was joking about Christian.

That night, as I was preparing for bed, my phone buzzed. A text read, "Wear the sneakers I gave you for festival season." The number was hidden, so I couldn't reply. Feeling curious and frustrated, I decided to go to sleep.