Chapter Nineteen

Christian was part of the bridal team and I chose to be an organiser as it was a private wedding. I made all the necessary preparations and left the remaining work to the assistant organisers as it was about time for the wedding to begin.

Went back to the lodge we were staying in and came back early enough just in time for the wedding to begin. When I arrived dad was already standing at the altar, wearing a lovely black suit that fit him so well making him stand out. His best friend was his work mate Charles, who had the most attractive eyes I'd ever seen- right after Christian’s of course.

The church had been beautifully decorated. The aesthetically-pleasing colour scheme blended well with the warm atmosphere, creating a magical aura in the building. I'd never seen my dad this happy over anything other than my achievements. He did seem nervous but he tried to cover it up by keeping his gaze down the whole time and  pretending to be focused on something on the floor.

The bride was taking a while to arrive and I wasn’t sure if it was just me who came late or if she really was the one delaying. Nonetheless, I waited patiently like all of the other guests. Just as I was about to go out and call the driver to confirm arrival time, the doors to the church opened and there she was.

Wow, she looked absolutely breathtaking. I was there when she was getting dressed and all but somehow it was as if I was seeing her for the first time. The dress was white with a splash of peach and the combination of colours complimented her eyes so well that she looked like something out of a fairytale.

She looked so young and radiant, despite being at least 10-20 years older than me. The violinist started playing, signaling that it was time for her to walk down the aisle. She was being escorted by Christian who was looking as handsome as always.

Looking at Christian took my happiness for a moment as I began to think about how we were just moments away from becoming relatives. My first and almost final love was to become my brother and I was carrying a baby that only Clio, he and I knew about.

The relationship was the least of my problems though... I still didn't know how I was going to break the news of my pregnancy to dad. Our relationship was surely going to become strained after this and would probably break... despite his stubbornness in every other matter, dad trusted me knowing that I would never do such.

I felt a pang of guilt when I thought about how I had broken his trust.

These thoughts weren't going to make me feel better so I took a deep breath and returned my focus to the wedding that was taking place. It was my dad's wedding after all and least I could do was be happy for him.

Ms Evans finally reached the altar and the violinist stopped playing. The marriage officer gave the opening remarks and then addressed the couple before the time for the vows came. Ms Evans was to start off the vows as she and dad decided not to follow customs.

Her words were beautiful, It was clear that they had been written from the heart. As she spoke, her silky voice echoed around the chapel. She stared deeply into dad’s eyes as she said them, yet dad himself could not hold her gaze for long. I figured it was just nerves. When it was dad’s turn to speak, he froze up.

The church waited in awkward silence for dad to speak up.

”Is something wrong?” Emma managed say through gritted teeth in a forced smile. Dad looked at her with shame filling his eyes. “Look Em... I don’t think I can do this anymore.” He mumbled quietly.

wh... what?” Emma asked softly, looking as though she might collapse at any moment. “Look at our children, Em. They’re not happy...” Dad started, causing poor Ms Evans to look at Christian and I who both immediately looked down.

“As parents our job is to make sure our kids are happy. And as much as I love you... I don’t think I can stand to watch my little Liss suffer in silence for my sake.” He finished sadly, casting a fond glance in my direction.

Ms Evans frowned down at her hands as she tried to keep her emotions in check. “Look at Christian... is he happy?” Dad went on, really trying to make her see what he saw. Em kept her head down for a while but then cast a furtive glance at Christian, who refused to meet her gaze. A lone tear quickly slipped down her cheek before she sighed dejected and grabbed the microphone.

She called off the wedding.

She told the guests that the wedding had to be called off due to certain reasons. She thanked all of the guests for coming and apologised for all of the inconveniences caused by having to attend the wedding. Everyone who had to make extra payments just to attend was going to get their transport paid for and each quest was allowed to take a wedding gift home as appreciation for the attendance of the guests and compensation for all of the time wasted.

The guests filed out of the room muttering about how disorganised this whole thing was, and made sure to grab a gift on their way out. By now Em was sitting dejectedly on the altar stairs  with her shoes next to her. She had taken the veil hairpiece out of her hair and the bouquet of flowers lay discarded at her feet.

Dad approached her carefully and then sat down next to her. “Em... I’m sorry. You know I would never hurt you like this on purpose. I just couldn’t bear to watch our children suffer.” She simply nodded in understanding and gave my dad’s hand a gentle squeeze before standing up.

“You’re a good dad. But after this I don’t think I can be around you anymore, so this is goodbye. I do hope we never have to speak again.” She bent down and picked up her shoes then started to walk away but soon stopped.

“And Christian? I’ll be home late tonight... don’t wait up for me.” She said over her shoulder before turning back and leaving the chapel.