The Eighth Measure

Y/N's POV
Sumiya Junior High; Gymnasium

'Sumiya: 20 and Jabberwock: 8. We're in a good lead.'

Coach: Stick to the plays, boys! You're doing a good job out there. Are you all doing well?

Akashi, Midorima, Kise, Aomine, and Murasakibara nod.

Coach: Good!

Y/N: You guys are doing good, just like Coach said. Don't get too loose on them, I have a feeling they're holding back.

They all nodded as the whistle blew for second quarter.

"Go Sumiya!"

Our school cheered.

"Go Jabberwock!"

Their school cheered. The game picked up as the ball was in Jabberwock's possession. Seven went up for the screen on Murasakibara as Eight peeled off and Aomine stayed on him. Nash passed to Eight.

'!!!'

Kagami: Impossible! He crossed Aomine!

I watched as Eight went up to the basket.

Y/N: Murasakibara!

Murasakibara heard me as he switched over to Eight as he jumped up. Murasakibara jumped at the same time as him to block the ball.

WOOSH

'No way...'

The basketball went in as Murasakibara dropped to the floor. Everyone was surprised, especially our team.

Eight: I put in a little effort, and this is the result? Monkeys are just too weak. I'd better be careful, I don't injure you guys.

He laughs as he went to his team's defense. Now that he hand was in our possession Kise took it down the court and was immediately blocked. He passes over the Akashi and he went for the fadeaway...only for it to be blocked by Eight. Nash caught the ball as Eight was running down to his basket.

Y/N: Kise! Midorima!

Both of them ran after Eight as he was way ahead of them. He makes the dunk.

'A double-handed windmill dunk?!'

Y/N: Coach. Do you at least have their names?

I watched as Coach grab his clipboard and handed it to me. I started to read the names and numbers of Team Jabberwock.

'4: Nash, 8: Jason, 12: Zack, 6: Nick, and 7: Allen.'

I repeated their names over and over again as I handed the clipboard back to Coach.

Jason: See that, monkeys? You'll never be able to do that for your entire lives! We're so much stronger than you, you can never make up the difference!

Jason's response was followed by shouts and laughs from his school. The second quarter went on as Jason continued to block, steal, and dunk. Coach stood up as he called for a timeout to the referee. We stood as Akashi, Midorima, Kise, Aomine, and Murasakibara crash onto the chairs. I looked up at the scoreboard.

'Sumiya: 22 & Jabberwock: 33. They catch up fast.'

Coach: They're beginning to show their true colors.

I looked over at Murasakibara as he was seething with annoyance.

Coach: The five of you have good balance, but we lack the horsepower to stop Number Eight. I'm changing our lineup. Akashi, Midorima, Kise you're out. Kuroko, Kagami, Y/N you're in. Y/N Point Guard, Kuroko Small Forward, Aomine Power Forward, Kagami Power Forward, Murasakibara Center.

Murasakibara stands up to protest.

Murasakibara: I can handle him myself.

Akashi: Murasakibara. Listen to Coach. You can't win by yourself.

Murasakibara: What?

Akashi: Not yet. If you disagree, then so will I. But Coach's decision is what's best for now. More than anything, you know exactly what's more important between an individual victory and a team victory.

The whistle blows signaling that timeout is over. As soon as I take a step on court, I heard the shouts and screams of my friends.

Tsubaki: Kill them, Y/N!!!

Watari: Avenge us!

Kousei: Go, Y/N!

Kaori: You got this, Y/N!

I shook my head as I got on the court and played defense. Nash dribbles up as I brought my arms up. He then smirks at me.

Nash: Why didn't you play in the first quarter?

Y/N: Because it's a strategy.

I slowly inch towards him as I could feel the ball nearly in my grasp.

Nash: Strategy?

Y/N: (mutters)I don't like repeating myself...

I watched as the ball left his grasp as I swooped it under him and dribbled down the court. I went for the easy lay-up and tapped down onto the ground. Nash and the rest of his team looked at me in shock. I ran back for the defense and Aomine jogs down with me.

Aomine: Did you have to repeat yourself?

Y/N: How'd you know?

Aomine: Captain, we're a team, aren't we?

I let out a laugh as I shook my head.

Y/N: Yeah, of course!

I turned around as I saw Nash hold the ball over his hand.

'Is he going to make a pass from all the way there?!'

I got into the predicted direction and got ready to jump.

Y/N: Kagami!

He looked at me as he nodded. He started jogging down to our basket. Nash throws the ball and it was headed for Jason. I jumped into the air as I saw Kuroko getting ready for the pass. I swatted when my hand made contact, and swatted it to Kuroko. It made to him as he sent a powerful pass to Kagami. He then dunks it.

'This is our counteroffensive!'

Timeskip>>>
Butcher's Table

"Congratulations!"

We all shouted as we won the game. Despite the smack that Jabberwock gave us, we fed them with raw skill.

Kagami: I still can't believe it! We won by one point! One!

We all laughed and started eating our burgers.

"I'm done."

I looked at Kuroko and shook my head. He had eaten a twelfth of his burger and a single fry.

Y/N: C'mon, Kuroko, eat more. Right now's a time to celebrate! We're going to Regionals, Kuroko!

Kuroko smiles as he looks down at his burger and fries. He picks his burger up and starts eating. When I look down on my meal, I creased my eyebrows.

Y/N: Kagami?! Did you eat my fries?!

Everyone laughed as I got onto his head while I stole some of his.

Timeskip>>>
Y/N's Residence

"Congrats, Y/N!"

I walked in as streamers and balloons feathered my apartment. Snoppy was wearing a party cone with a small bright red tie. I picked him up and smiled at my friends.

Y/N: (smiles)Thanks for cheering me and my team on, guys! Next, you guys gotta cheer me and Kousei on at Maihou, okay?