Chapter Five

"Stay right where you are." She says, holding the little boy tightly to her. "Don't come any closer to us. You can't have him!" Kylo's skin crawls as he listens to her shouting, her voice full of fear and panic while trying to balance the severely distraught toddler in her lap. He can't wrap his mind around what was happening. He doesn't understand. Why had she been hiding a child from him? Was he the real reason why she had run away?

"Stop staring at me like an idiot, Kylo. I know you know. For christ's sake. He's your child. You've been seeing him since he was days old. Don't act like you came here just for me!" She says, breaking into sobs once again. In her lap the child turns to look at him, but she places her hand over his eyes to block his face and force him to look at the wall again. "Chase, don't look at him, baby." She warns the child, placing her face in his scruffy hair and hugging him close. "Don't be afraid, mommy will protect you." Her voice, though full of alarm, is still comforting, even Kylo can feel himself calming as he listens to her reassure the child.

His child, apparently.

All this time he had looked into the eyes of this child and wished so badly that he had his own to love and to care for, only to find out that it was his child this entire time. Kylo is hurt. Tears began to blur the now two most important people in his life together in a colorful blob, and the only word he manages to get out past the lump in his throat is "why?"

She picks her head up from the boy's hair, wipes her face clean a few times with her free hand before looking Kylo right into his eyes. He can see her bravery and strength, and he's reminded once again why he loved her so much.

"I could never raise a child with you, Kylo," She breaths, once again damaging Kylo's soul. He was not expecting to hear such hurtful words. What was wrong with him? Why didn't she feel like he was capable of taking care of his own child? "You were obsessed with your work, with that fucking scavenger girl or whatever. That's all you ever wanted to do or talk about, and I just felt so unloved that last year of our relationship. All day long, Rey this. Resistance that. I felt like I was the least most important thing in your life." Kylo can't keep the hurt off of his face or the tears from streaming down his cheeks. He really was such an idiot to put work above the love of his life. It was true he was so into finding Rey and the Resistance that he became obsessed and overshared, but he never meant to diminish his thoughts about his woman at all.

"You, you thought I didn't love you?" He asks, feeling his fingers beginning to shake while the rest of his body goes numb.

"Yes, Kylo. I thought you were planning on leaving me for that girl," She explains, and Kylo can't help but to tuck his face into his hands and let loose all of his emotions. There was no way he preferred Rey to the amazing woman sitting here in front of him, especially since she had given him a child. "I couldn't take it. It drove me so mad when I'd sit there next to you at night knowing she's all you'd think about all day and night. I planned on leaving on my own, but not before I noticed my period had been a few weeks late.

"I snuck into the medbay one night and stole a pregnancy test and took it in one of the communal bathrooms. When it came up positive I ran all the way to the incinerator and threw it in. I was so fucking scared, I didn't know what to do, or what I was going to have to do. I didn't want to keep it at first, but I knew getting rid of it without you knowing was going to be impossible. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that it wasn't his fault that you didn't love me anymore, and, and I knew when I left I didn't want to be alone. So I hid it from you until I could come up with some excuse to leave. Kylo, I knew you didn't cheat on me with the damn maid. I knew it would confuse you and you wouldn't understand, but you were just so obsessed with that scavenger, I didn't want my child growing up feeling the same way you made me feel.