Chapter 33

Hiccup's POV

I clenched my fists as I leaned back on my bedside, my black hoodie covering my face.

My phone rang for the 10th time, but I never answered it. I received messages from Jack asking me where I was, and that the prom Christmas party was already starting. However, I ignored it. I wasn't planning to go to that stupid prom this time.

I mean, I did, but that was before I got rejected.

But I didn't care about any of those right now. I only had one thought in my mind.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

Drago... that psycho... he killed a person.

And it's not just anybody. He killed my mom.

Opening my eyes, I stood up and walked over to my table and opened the first drawer. I fumbled over some of the things inside it until I found what I was looking for.

When I felt the gloss of the photo paper in my hand, I took it out.

I always avoided looking at this picture because I didn't want to hurt myself. I didn't want to have painful thoughts about wishing that this woman in this picture was beside me right now.

It was a picture of my mother in her mid-20s.

Although I didn't need to grieve, as I didn't get to spend any time with her, but I could never avoid these thoughts... the longing of wanting to know more about her... wanting to know what she was like... ask her for advices...

I trailed her long, black hair in the picture with my fingers, thinking of what it might have actually felt like.

Grabbing my wallet from the pocket of my hoodie, I opened it and took out the letter I wrote from arts class. We were supposed to write a letter to someone special in our lives, and I chose to write one for my mother.

I inserted her picture between the folded paper and put the letter back inside my wallet.

My mom died an unjust death. She didn't deserve to die. She didn't want to die. She didn't choose to. And I didn't want to lose the first woman who carried me in their arms.

And that was when a thought suddenly came to me.

There were only two women in my life that I'm willing to do everything for. My mom, and... her.

Although I already lost one, I didn't want to lose the other.

I immediately put my wallet back in my hoodie and ran straight out of my bedroom after grabbing my phone. I quickly wore my shoes and grabbed my car keys.

When I went inside my car, I tried to start it, but my car didn't work. I turned the keys again, but to no avail.

I checked the fuel gauge and it was already at E.

"Thor!" I groaned as I immediately went out of my car.

I ran as fast as I could to Astrid's house, and even with just a hoodie, a pair of pants and my sneakers, the cold didn't bother me.

Finally arriving at her lot, I went straight up to the porch.

I knocked on the door a few times, but nothing.

I checked the windows of the house and the lights were off.

"Astrid?" I called out, but there was nothing.

Maybe nobody's home...

I thought.

Where could she be?