Chapter 34

Hiccup's POV

"Where's Astrid?" I asked Elsa.

"Oh, you're here." She frowned.

"What's that frown supposed to mean? Did she come here or not?" I asked.

"No, Hiccup. She couldn't come."

I furrowed my eyebrows and waited for her to continue.

"Hiccup... she's gone. She's not here anymore."

"What do you mean? Where did she go?"

"Astrid and her mom moved out and left the city the other night..."

I roughly stood up. "WHAT? Without even telling me?!"

At this point, my voice raised, and I caught a bit of attention from others but I immediately glared at them, telling them to mind their own business.

"It's not that she didn't tell YOU, she just didn't tell anyone else, but me. What do you think the gang felt when I told them about it earlier?" She pointed to the corner of the gym.

I looked at where she was pointing, and there I saw the gang. Fishlegs was slumped on a chair and buried his head on the table. Tuffnut caressed Fishlegs' back as he tried to comfort him. Ruffnut paced back and forth with her phone stuck on her ear, probably trying to contact Astrid. And Snotlout kicked a chair and brushed his hair back in frustration.

"They didn't even spend this party in enjoyment." Elsa continued.

"That's why you looked sad when you came back after talking to them?" Jack asked in realisation.

"Does she even know what she did? She left without even saying goodbye." I said.

"She didn't want to have second thoughts after meeting you guys. And as for the goodbye, she wanted me to give this to you specifically..." Elsa handed me a card... a letter...

"What's this? Isn't this the project from arts class?" I asked.

"She decided to choose you to be that special person to write a letter for."

I opened the card and started to read what was written;

"I don't have time for boys. I don't have time to even just like boys, too. I'm too busy working hard for my futu-"

I immediately closed the card shut, deciding that I didn't want to finish reading it. As if rejecting me harshly wasn't enough, she really wanted to embarrass me and my feelings for her like that?

I closed my eyes and sighed.

"Did she go far away?" I asked underneath my breath.

"Yes... she went to-"

"Stop. That's enough." I cut Elsa off.

I tried to understand her. Astrid probably felt it uncomfortable. She didn't feel the same way, and in confessing my feelings, I drew a line between our relationship. I regret it now. I shouldn't have confessed to her.

Suddenly, my phone rang.

Without even checking who it was, I pressed the answer button and brought my phone up to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hiccup..."

I checked the caller ID.

"Gobber?"

His voice sounded sad, worried, angry... I don't know which one specifically but I knew it did not sound happy at all.