Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Ryker

His heart was still racing like Sea biscuit in his finest race at the question his sister had asked him.

"You said you love her. Do you mean like a sister, or do you truly love Wren?" They had polished off their third bottle of wine as they lounged in the study in front of the fireplace. Only a couple hours had passed since Wren stormed from the house. He had caught a glimpse of her rounding the corner to the back door when he heard the slam of the door that led towards the back of the estate. There was only one person who would be going to the woods right now out of the people who were currently living in this estate. Ryker tried to pull his mind from her again.

His eyes flicked from where his half empty wine glass in his hand towards the grandfather clock that rocked in the corner of the room. Aurora was slurring her words as she spoke to Ryker about the guy in school she was crushing on but Ryker only had one thing; one person on his mind.

His hearing had always been exceptional, but he wasn't sure if it was because of his good hearing or because he wanted to hear her return. Ryker heard the back door open and close and heard the quick footsteps of someone moving through the back rooms and up the stairs, their pace even as they ascended quickly. Wanting to hear the footsteps grow louder as she grew closer, Ryker furrowed his brows as she never came. Aurora went on and on, assuming he was listening but he had zoned her out ages ago. Aurora knew that Wren needed her time. It was something Ryker wouldn't understand. He could tell she was hurting and seeing her hurt was destroying him. If he could take the pain away from her he would. Ryker had told himself multiple times that he would discover Wren's past and secrets. To be the one to rescue her, but who was he kidding? He was no one. He had good combat skills and was skilled with a sword and bow, but she wouldn't look twice at him. Ryker had accepted his role in Wren's life as brother but it didn't stop him from letting her into his dreams at night.

"I'll be right back. I need to use the little boy's room." He said smoothly as he stood from his spot on the lounge chair, resting his wine glass on the table beside the chair. Aurora stretched out on the couch opposite his chair and placed her own glass on the table before her.

"Hurr-up." She mumbled as she placed her arm across her eyes and mumbled to herself as she leaned back into the cushions of the couch. Ryker smiled at his sister as he moved from the room in a few steps and out into the hallway. From his sudden movement from his seated to standing position, his head rushed with blood as he had to stand still for a moment to stabilize himself. Shaking his head, he cleared his mind and refocused. The study was in the same hallway as their bedrooms, so he didn't have to move far to be standing in front of Wren's door. The layout of the floor was simple since it only held the study at one end, and the three bedrooms of Aurora, Wren, and Ryker. Their parents occupied the top floor and the library was on the third floor, leaving the study and the bedrooms of their children on the second. The rest of the mansion held various rooms that Ryker had no interest in knowing, so he allowed for his parents to have their secrets. As he stood in front of the door, he heard soft footsteps from behind the door and the rustling of drawers. He took a deep breath and softly knocked on the door, three taps to let her know it was him.

"Wrennie?" He called softly as he placed his open palm on the wooden door and waited for her response. He heard the silence in the room as he clearly heard her hesitation in opening the door for him. But within a few moments, the door opened slightly and he saw her peak her head around the edge of the door. She smiled faintly, her eyes locking with his, as she bit her bottom lip before opening her door fully for him to step inside.

Ryker slowly looked around the room and saw that clothes were sporadically tossed around the room. Her green jacket was tossed across the back of her desk chair as she stood before him dressed in tight dark jeans that hugged her curves and the deep cut of her maroon v neck that hung low on her chest. He smiled as he stepped into her room and closed the door softly behind him. His heart was beating quickly as he took in her beauty as she stood in the center of her room with her hands were half tucked into the butt pockets of her jeans. She looked so innocent and so beautiful, it always took his breath away when he had a moment to truly take her in. Her head cocked to the side as she looked down towards his lips.