Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Wren

Wren couldn't believe what she had just done. She needed to leave in two nights and here she was locking lips with Ryker. She had wanted to do that for years but never had the motivation to act on her feelings but knowing she didn't have much time left with him, it was something she would never regret. She loved him. Gods, she loved him so much but he had always been a brother figure to her this whole time and if Aurora found out, she would blow her brains out. She felt a calm roll over her as she looked down at the necklace that rested between her breasts. Something about this gem gave her the courage to be truthful and to be open in ways she hadn't before. Perhaps this was a gift indeed; a gift for her to be true to herself and to the ones she loved.

She zipped the bag slowly and tossed it back onto the bed and faced Ryker. "We need to make sure Aurora hasn't gotten into any trouble. Gods forbid your parents come home and find her half naked running around the house, singing 'Born this way'." She tried to stifle a laugh as she approached Ryker who was still planted on the bed. He had moved from his slumped position to being seated at the edge, his hands in his lap and his eyes lingering on the floor. Wren crouched before him, resting her forearms on his thighs as she looked up at him.

"Ry, please..." She said softly as she lifted a hand to rest under his chin. "Try to act normal for the sake of Rora and her terrible temper when it comes to me and boys." She said softly as she stood from her crouched position and grabbed a hold of his hands, pulling him from the bed and across the room towards the door. Before she reached out to the door handle, she spun around and placed her hands at his hips, looking into his blue-green eyes and tilted her head up, taking a step closer so their lips were mere inches apart. She saw his eyes dance between her eyes and her lips and she couldn't help but smile. Leaning forward, she claimed his lips and parted them, allowing her tongue to caress his in a secret promise this wasn't over yet. Leaning back and cupping his left cheek, she smiled genuinely at him and turned to open the door that led into the hallway. Ryker followed slowly, shoving his hands into his pockets, his hair disheveled as usual but his demeanor had shrunken and his usual swagger was broken. If Wren noticed it at all; she said nothing.

They stalked down the hall towards the study where they heard faint music emitting from the cracked study door. As Wren pushed the door open, she found Aurora with a bottle of wine in one hand, dancing on the couch to some sort of hip-hop music she didn't recognize and her eyes were closed as she swayed back and forth. At the sudden motion at the door, Wren watched Aurora's eyes shot open as she stumbled down from the couch and marched towards Ryker.

"Tha-was the longest bathroom break I have ever witnessed in my entire liiiiife." She slurred as she poked her fingers into her brother's chest. Ryker furrowed his brows as he snatched the bottle from his sister's hands and downed the contents of the bottle as he moved around his sister and towards the fireplace. Well, at least Wren knew Ryker would probably not remember tonight at the rate he was chugging that bottle. Perhaps he just wanted to forget about her all together. She couldn't blame him. First she kissed him, almost fucked him, and then told him she was leaving. Any person would have reacted the same way.

"Rora, lay off." Wren said softer than usual as she marched to the alcohol cabinet and swung open the doors to find the absinthe she knew was hidden in a small bottle. Her eyes scanned the shelves until she found the small green bottle tucked away behind the old scotch bottles. Picking up the bottle and uncorking it with her teeth, she spit the cork back into the cabinet – slamming the doors shut and tipped the bottle back, ingesting as much as she could handle in one gulp. As she lowered the bottle from her lips, she caught Ryker's eyes on her as he squinted, finding another half empty wine bottle on the table and tipped the wine bottle back again and cleared the contents. Wren kept eye contact with him as she crossed the room and extended the bottle of absinthe out to him. He eagerly grabbed it from her, his fingers brushing hers, sending a shrill up her spine and her features began to soften. Their eyes locked as he felt himself begin to harden between his legs again. Realizing who stood in close proximity automatically killed any feeling of lust that was brewing.