Chapter Three

Silence hangs amongst the occupants of Starfire Estate's entryway, many of them unsure of how to proceed. Luke's eyes roam the room, searching for something solid to ground himself with as he attempts to steady his breathing. He finally collects his thoughts and finds his voice, looking to Edwin with a surprisingly calm expression. "Explain no more my friend, we must travel to Sanctuary." Edwin nods in a silent agreement as Luke turns to look at his parents and mother-in-law. "I'll bring her home, no matter what condition she might be in." Madeleine takes a breath and nods as Callie reaches out, taking her hand in a show of support. "And we'll be ready for anything." Sam nods and places his hand on Madeleine's shoulder as he continues his wife's train of thought. "We always are. We're Malcolms, we don't break easily." Luke turns once more to face Edwin, who holds out his arm. "The trip will be quicker by my way of travel." "Very well, I will return as soon as I can." Luke says to his family as he places his hand on top of Edwin's, who looks to Sam as he says "Sapphire asked that I inform you of more coming. At least six, that she knows of." Sam nods, "Thank you for the information, old friend. I'll make preparations accordingly." He looks to his son, "Now bring your wife home." Edwin taps his cane, once to open a door to Hellfire, twice to close it after the seconds-long jump through the door that transported them into the hall of Hellfire's audience chambers.

Upon Luke and Edwin's appearance into the hall, Gabe jumps in surprise. He shakes his head and looks at his pocket watch as he says "That was quick... I bid you farewell not even five minutes ago!" Edwin tips his head, chuckling as he responds, "If you're alive for as long as I have been, you begin to learn tactics that help in the grand scheme of things. With a thought and the tap of my cane, I'm where I'm needed most in seconds." Gabe nods in understanding and looks to his brother. "I know that look. You're worried, uncertain..." Luke takes a breath as he looks into the audience chamber. "How is she?" Gabe sighs and pushes himself off of the wall, turning to look into the room as he leans against the doorframe. "Physically, she's okay. I mean, a few cuts and scrapes from her tumble through the portal. But they don't even bother her from the sound of it. She's a tad shaken from everything, but who wouldn't be in her shoes?" Luke shakes his head as he clasps his hands together, pressing his thumb into the centre of his left hand. "What happened?"

Gabe turns his head, sighing as he responds, "From what the ladies have managed to piece together, Sapphire planned to gather her siblings and explain her meeting with Madeleine. As she was exiting the portal upstairs, she was essentially trapped behind the gate by Michael, who then confronted her. She spun it on him after telling her brother the truth and sending him to collect the others. With nowhere else and no other options to choose from, she decided to take her chances travelling back through the portal... which was powering down at that time. Thankfully, she made it across before she could be trapped in the realm of the four." Gabe motions to Edwin as he says this. Luke nods in understanding as he looks into the audience chamber once more. Selena and Karissa are sitting next to Sapphire, who seems to be staring off into the distance. She responds to questions the sisters ask but doesn't say much beyond that. "She's caught up in her own mind. Trying to process everything that's happened." Edwin observes as he looks to Luke, who nods and responds, "It makes sense. Many of us are a little foggy after our fall and or alienation such as hers... Do you know if she has shown signs of amnesia?" "She does not. I spoke with her before returning Topside to retrieve you, which is when she informed me of the others who might be joining you." There is a slight pause as Lucas looks away long enough to notice that Kane has drawn a barrier around the portal and stands guarding it, being as silent and as still as a statue.

Luke looks to Edwin with a raised eyebrow, "Why-" "Nevermind that, Sire. I believe you have more important matters to attend to... She asked specifically for you when I told her that Selena wanted me to retrieve someone." Luke chuckles as he looks at Edwin. "Well, I suppose it's time my presence be known..." He trails off as he turns his attention to Gabe, who seems to be fretting over something all his own. "Cheer up, little brother. Father's awaiting the rest of the family now." Luke says as he pats Gabe on the shoulder, making him look up. "Really?" Gabe asks as he looks to his brother with a focused determination. Luke nods, smiling at his brother as he takes a breath and walks into the room. Upon he and Edwin's entrance, Selena and Karissa stand and meet them close to the door. "Ah, thank you for bringing him, husband. Lucifer, I hope you're doing well." Selena says as she curtsies out of respect. Luke makes a brief motion with his hand, telling her to stand as he responds, "Thank you for notifying me so soon." Karissa smiles and says "She's beginning to calm down and is recalling the series of events that lead her here. For now, we'll give the two of you time. We're just outside if needed." Luke nods as Karissa and Selena walk past him, with Selena taking her husband's arm with a smile. When the door closes, Luke breathes out in an attempt to calm his nerves. He silently approaches his wife, kneeling in front of her as he takes her hand. "Sapphire..."