Welp, I guess the cat's out of the bag?

Walking back to Ray's house, I felt a hum of happiness settle in the pit of my stomach.

It was like a warmness, taking over my body. Ray always has the ability to make me feel better. I don't know how he does it.

About an hour and a million giggles passed, and we had finally reached Ray's house. His mom must've finished work, because her silver Toyota Corolla was parked in the driveway. His mom worked as a nurse, but only part-time. She wants to be there for Ray at most times. 

Ray turned the doorknob of the front door and let me in first. Such a gentleman

"Cora?" I called. something smells good in here. I thought, taking in a good whiff of the meal cooking. 

"Alice. How are you, sweetheart?" she asked softly, coming out of the kitchen wearing a black apron over the top of her purple T-shirt and dark blue jeans. Her arms were extended outwards for a hug. I wasted no time, and hugged her, squeezing tightly.

This woman is one of the most important people in my life. She has put up with me for so many years. Whenever I ran away from home, I would come here. She was more of a mother to me than my real mother ever was.

After hugging me for a minute, more or less, she hugged Raymond. 

"Hey, Mom."

"Hey, Ray. Now, Alice, don't ever be afraid to ask me anything. Anything at all. Raymond and I are both here for you. Okay?"

"I understand. Thank you, Cora."

I felt myself tearing up, but I stopped myself from crying. I hadn't felt security like this in a long time. It was good to know people care. 

"Oh, Alice! I completely forgot. In favor of your new housing arrangements, I've made green curry with rice for dinner. I know it's your favorite."

"But how?-"

"I told her. I want you to feel comfortable living here indefinitely. I thought this would be a nice 'welcome to your new home' gesture." Ray piped in. He took my hands in his and looked deep into my eyes. "I never want you to feel uncomfortable here. Come to Mom or I if you have any concerns or questions."

I smiled lightly, and wrapped my arms around his torso. I rested my head on his chest, and I listened to his heartbeat.

Boom, boom... Boom, boom... Boom, boom... It has such a calming essence.

It felt like an eternity. Or... I wish it was an eternity. I couldn't tell the difference.

Cora's throat cleared itself, and Ray and I let go of each other. "Ray, I bought you some new shirts today, I put them on your bed. I also got you some clothes and things, too, Alice."

"Oh, no. You didn't need to." I gestured to my duffel bag, which was slung over my shoulder. 

"Oh, don't be silly. I wanted to. You live here now, so I may as well be responsible for buying you things too." Cora swiped a lock of hair out from my eyes and put it behind my left ear.

"Now, Raymond. Go try your clothes on. I'll send Ali up when you're done."

Ray listened to his mom. He glanced at me, smiled and headed down the hallway, to his room.

"He likes you, you know." Cora whispered, leaning into me. I looked away from the hallway Ray ad just disappeared into, and looked at Cora.

"What?"

"He likes you. He has for years. I'm the only one he's told so far."

I blushed. "Well. I- uh- He- uhm- It's not-" God, I couldn't even talk. I must look like a tomato.