Packing for the Trip

Cora picked up her phone, and slowly dialed the number. She looked at me for reassurance, and I nodded to give it to her. 

She pressed the dial button and put it on speaker. On the fourth ring, someone picked it up.

"Hello?" Came a deep voice.

"Is this Lincoln James?"

"Yes, who is this? How did you get this number?"

"I'm Coralie Phillips. Mother of Raymond."

"Ahh, Ms Phillips. How are you?" he laughed.

"I've been better." She admitted.

"So, I'm assuming since you've called our organisation, you have found the remaining Huma-bot?"

"I have. But it was in bad circumstances." Cora's voice sounded grave. Those 'circumstances' must mean our mugging. Of course it did.

"So you have found the one known as Alice?"

I stiffened at the sound of my name.

Cora hesitated before answering. "I have."

"Well, that's great! I will send some coordinates through to your phone, and Raymond and Alice can take the journey to find our hidden location."

"Hidden location?"

"Yes, our location is confidential, so that no strangers came come upon us by mistake."

"Well, I guess that makes sense... Do I have to go with them?"

"It's better if you don't. We don't usually permit people that don't work here to enter our building."

"Oh.. Okay. How long would the journey take?" Cora sounded worried about us. I didn't blame her. I'd be worried too.

"From your location? Probably four to five days."

"Do they need anything?"

"Just normal travel supplies."

"Okay."

"Myriad Corps would like to formerly thank you for taking our advice and calling us. It could've been bad if you hadn't. I will send the coordinates through to your phone in a few minutes. Alice and Raymond should begin their travels tomorrow, at 6:00am. Have a good day." Lincoln hung up and Cora set her phone down. 

Ray and I were completely silent. Cora was sniffling. 

"It's okay, mom. We'll be okay." Ray tried to soothe her.

"You don't know that! This could turn out worse than any of us could expect it to! I don't want to lose you." She held her son's hand. "Either of you."

"I-" I cleared my throat. "I think we should go and get ready then."

Cora wiped a tear that had escaped from her eye, and nodded.

"Yeah. Just promise me you'll be careful?"

"We will." Ray and I both said.

Her phone pinged with a text message from an unknown number, bearing the coordinates of the lab. She texted it to both Ray and I so that either of us could have it.

We both walked down the hallway to his room and closed the door behind us.

"Are you sure we should do this?" I asked, skeptical.

"I don't want to find out what happen if we don't." He sighed.

"Well, we may as well pack a bag, then, I guess."