Chapter One.

Chapter One.

The human race was extinct.

That was what every mythical creature thought, but it was hardly true. Two of them were proof, Una and Michie. After surviving the Great War, they hid amongst place only they knew, it was the oplace their family found after a long two hour hike. It was the place they loved to come when they were young. it was a good place to hide, seeing it was well hidden with bushes and trees. Having only what nature gives them, they survived for God knows how long, hoping to come across more humans. But months passed by, they came across no one. They felt safe, but they knew it wouldn’t last long.

It was a hot afternoon when Una left Michie in the cave they managed to call their home. She went to the isolated paradise she had encountered months ago. Only she knew of this place, and was sure there was nothing living near there, after going there multiple times, alone. Once she was there, she seized the cold water and the hot sand.

From afar, someone saw Una, when she thought no one would. The boy, or should I say, half boy and half fish, was mesmerized by Una’s beauty that he caught himself just staring at her. His wet, dirty blonde hair was getting dry, but he did not care. He felt attraction to the young lady.

Una had laid under the sun, trying to get enough vitamin D as she can. It had been long since she and Michie ever went out together, both were scared to be found and be executed by the ‘King’, the one who ruled EVERY creature there is, the one who killed their parents. Suddenly, she felt guilty for not bringing Michie here, and just leaving her sick in the cave. She needed this much more than I do, Una thought.

Slowly, Niall the half boy half fish approached the young lady. He was curious of who and what she was. Mesmerized by her pale skin and dark-brown hair, he inched closer to shore, as quiet as he could. In his kingdom, Aquata there were rarely any girl with brown hair, his mother said those who has them has great beauty inside and out, even if they weren’t mermaids.

Una sat up, and screamed when she saw, him. His eyes widened showing his magnificent eyes that were the same color as the sky on warm sunny days that Una missed so much. Then, it was as if he was mimicking her, he screamed too and the birds, they flew.

Una got up and ran, not looking back at the creature. It was her instinct to run from any creature, it always has after the terrible war. She ran all the way to the cave where Michie was still sound asleep. She woke her up and explained the whole thing. Michie's eyebrows furrowed, thinking Una might have gone crazy or something. She shrugged it off, maybe she was just hallucinating. She told her she had a plan, and tried to make the lie as good as possible, she did not want Una to be mad at her for not believing her.

Niall was left dumb founded with her scared expression; he didn't knew she would react that way, because back at his kingdom, girls would throw themselves at him. Sighing he swam back to his kingdom, trying to erase those beautiful light brown orbs that had bits of green in them. But it was hard, it was like she was glued to his mind.

Back at the cave, Michie, didn't actually have a plan, it was a way to shut Una's nervous voice, up. With her headache, she couldn't think straight. She sighed, trying to look for something to eat, her stomach growled multiple times already.

"Aren't you going to tell me the plan?" Michie shook her head, feeling bad for lying. "Nope, not yet." Just calm down, let’s go look for some berries?" She suggested, thinking maybe it would calm Una's maddening nerves and hers too.

With a shaky sigh, Una agreed.

They walked out of the cave and out into the open. Michie felt relief washing over her as the cool wind made her hot skin; cool down. She savored the fresh air; there was hardly any back in the city where they lived. “Should we split up?” Michie asked, technically, she didn’t want to split up.

“No! I don’t want to run into more weird creatures!” Una protested, making Michie sigh in relief. They walked deeper into the forest, picking all sorts of edible berries they knew, then and now. Una suddenly stopped picking berries as she was hearing a voice singing out of tune.

She shook her head, she felt amused, nervous and scared at the same time but, despite that,  she found the lyrics nice. She called Michie over and they followed the voice, hiding behind a bush. There, a small creature dressed in green with a big gold hat on his head, was singing and dancing around a bunch of rocks and twigs. Michie and Una silently laughed, and this was unnoticed by the creature. He looked at the direction of the bush, Michie and Una hid in.

Unfortunately, maybe bad luck was on there side, because Una accidently pushed Michie out and they both come stumbling out.

He looked a little bit enraged, but soon, his eyes were covered in evident shock as he analyzed both Michie and Una. Humans… he thought. Una and Michie, silently gasp as they were caught. They scurried to their feet’s and tried escaping.

“Hey!” The creature exclaimed when he took notice of there plan, his long pointy ears spiking up. He frowned at them, “How… how are you both?” He asked, mainly to himself.

“Uhm…” Una said awkwardly, glancing at Michie with pleading eyes. She just felt like she saw too much today, her heart was beating rapidly, both of there hearts were. Michie all but shrugged, clueless on what to do. Both of them let out a shaky breath when the creature spoke.

“I’m not like them… don’t worry.” He states, sincerity evident in his girlish like voice. “My name is Joey…” He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, his voice as quiet. Ever since both of them witness the killing of their parents, right before their eyes, they can only feel hatred towards mythical creatures they grew up living with from stories. The war proved both them that there was no absolute happy ending or fairy tale. They grew up with a lie.

“I’m Una and this is my sister, Michie.” Una gestured to Michie. Inside, Una wanted to kill herself for revealing their name when she shouldn’t have. Michie glared at Una, “We’re just passing by. We’ll go now.” Michie exclaimed, she grabbed Una’s wrist and started walking away.

-

Short first chapter, nonetheless, I hope ya'll enjoyed. To those who are yet to know, this is a collab account of Me, (@oceanchildx) and Una (@uniiiica) We're like sisters, when we aren't this explains why. Also, the characters of this story are based-off of our friends here on Wattpad. Sorry for the typos and misspellings, English isn't our main language! :D Vote, comment, follow anything! Hahah!