Vices

I went out, stumbling and staggering blindly ahead of me. 

At one point during my escape, I nearly tumbled into one of the angels in the corridor. If it weren't for his keen reflexes to avoid my disruption, I would've taken him down. 

I left him not a moment to react yet at the brisk pace I was going, I didn't have a moment to even acknowledge the angel's presence. 

Down the hall, only ceasing for a moment of uncertainty before turning right and going on. 

Trying to outrun the tightness in my throat, the brink of tears.

To the double doors, back to the safety and solitude of the courtroom. 

Oh, how very wrong I was. 

From the one swift swing of the door, I was met with dozens of eyes, angels. 

Someone proclaimed, arousing the attention of everyone else. 

"It's the demon!" 

"There he is!" 

"Hey, over here!" 

I reeled back in my tracks, driven to a grinding halt at the sight. They surrounded me from all sides quickly, no visible sign of escape. 

Clicks of cameras, clamoring voices, bustling commotion and activity.

"Is it true you know Princess Butterfly?"

 "Why are you here?" 

"-you and the Princess-" 

"-citizens of the Above are scared-"

"Are there any other demons amongst us?"

"Do you intend any harm-?"

"-the trial to come-"

My mouth hung open, unable to think. I discovered my only line of defense was to drop to my knees and somehow block them out. My wings came over me, blanketing me, acting as a shield against the opposing forces.

No!

No more questions!

Make it stop!

It was beginning to boil over inside of me now. The hot, seething blood in my veins, something unholy, something absolutely grotesque and it was swelling and fuming now. Something of an exerted bark or howl of fury wanted to rupture and burst. 

And I was about to unleash it for all to see. 

Yet, another voice broke through the relentless noise, causing the voices around me to hush momentarily. 

"Marco," The voice came from behind but I had no desire to look up. Besides, I already knew who it was that had come to retrieve me. 

Then, just as quickly as it abruptly ceased, the noise returned, louder and more assertive. 

"Your Majesty, a few questions-" 

"Your Majesty, over here!" 

"Why are you defending the demon?" 

"- Your Majesty-" 

"- about Noah's claims and allegations -" 

"Do you believe a demon can actually ascend?" 

"Your Majesty, do you have anything to publicly state?" 

To the many swarming questions, Comet did not answer. Under the pressure of the protruding microphones, flashing cameras, and aggressive scribbling onto clipboards, Comet stood tall, her feet planted in the ground.