Chapter 10 - Lionpaw

Lionpaw couldn't think. 

He couldn't feel anything but grief, regret, and heartache.

The golden tom still couldn't believe that she was gone.

He sobbed harshly as he, Stormleap, and Swiftstripe walked miserably back to camp, not even bothering digging up his prey.

Lionpaw was crying harder when they arrived at the entrance to camp.

He cowered behind his mentor in despair as they padded through the fern tunnel.

Fawnpaw waited for him and rushed up to him.

"Lionpaw I passed my assess- wait are you ok? Where's Silverpaw? I need to apologize," she said, glancing behind him looking for the tabby.

"Lionpaw seriously whats wrong. And where is Silverpaw?" Fawnpaw sounded slightly worried now.

Cats gathered around him and the two mentors, wondering why they looked so upset.

"Lionpaw? Tell me whats going on!" his sister demanded.

Lionpaw couldn't speak.

It was as though his voice vanished and all the came out from his jaws was a choked sob.

"S-Silverpaw's dead!" cried Swiftstripe, tears sliding down her face.

The crowd gasped.

"No!" 

"Silverpaw is....gone?"

"This can't be."

"No! NO! You're lying!" Fawnpaw shook her head, her amber eyes filled with fear, shock, and pain.

"No! My sister can't be dead!" shouted Cloverstep, emerging from the cluster of ThunderClan cats.

Hawkpaw's jaws were wide open with disbelief and he blinked, shedding tears.

"Silverpaw fell over the edge of Bramble Valley," meowed Stormleap quietly, dipping his head with grief.

Thornstar then padded up to Stormleap.

"Are you sure she couldn't have survived?" he asked the gray tom.

"Thornstar, I-I don't think any cat could still be alive after a fall like that," said Lionpaw's mentor sadly.

The brown furred leader sighed sadly and leapt onto Highledge.

"All cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Highrock for a clan meeting!" he yowled.

The members of ThunderClan crowded below the Highledge, staring at Thornstar.

"I have some terrible news. For those who don't know, Silverpaw has recently died. Tonight we hold a vigil for her. May she hunt StarClan," he dipped his head.

Lilyfall and Spruceclaw gasped.

Velvetcloud flattened her ears and cried.

Flowertail's expression was unreadable.

Tears dripped down Fawnpaw's face and she shook her head in denial.

Everyone was silent.

Yet the silence was so loud in Lionpaw's ears.

His chest heaved as he sobbed more.

"Although bad things happen, sometimes great things can happen too. So today, some apprentices will be made warriors," he announced to the quiet Clan.

"Fawnpaw, Lionpaw, Hawkpaw step forward."

They all looked more broken and upset than happy when the three apprentices stepped towards Thornstar.

"I, Thornstar, leader of ThunderClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these apprentices. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as a warrior in their turn,"

"Fawnpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do" whispered Fawnpaw sadly.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Fawnpaw, from this moment you will be known as Fawnpelt. StarClan honors your bravery, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ThunderClan," Thornstar meowed.

And when Hawkpaw became Hawksong it was Lionpaw's turn.

"Lionpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?" he leader asked him.

Lionpaw was dazed for a second then said in a choked mew, "I-I do."

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Lionpaw, from this moment you will be known as Lionwing. StarClan honors your skills, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ThunderClan."

"Fawnpelt! Hawksong! Lionwing!" his clanmates chanted but it all felt so wrong.

Silverpaw should've been made a warrior too. Lionwing thought, full of misery.

Instead of smiling with their clanmates, Fawnpelt rushed straight to the warriors den, avoiding everyone.

Hawksong went to comfort his family.

Lionwing just sat there, not acknowledging anything.

And when it was moonhigh, it was time for Silverpaw's vigil.

The cats for ThunderClan gathered around a single teal flower on top of a clump of dirt. 

Cats who known her well were welcomed to say a few words before the vigil was over.

"She was such a skilled apprentice. She should've became a warrior today," Swiftstripe said hoarsely, bending down to touch noses with the small, teal flower. 

"She was my best friend and I never should have judged her. I-Im so sorry Silverpaw," cried Fawnpelt.

Then Lionwing stumbled forward.

"She was amazing. And kind. And funny. And skilled. And beautiful," he whispered the last words so only he himself could hear.

When he gazed at the teal flower, it reminded him of Silverpaw's thoughtful eyes.

And he sprinted out of camp.

He didn't stop until he was completely out of breath and he had the prefect view of the sunset.

Lionwing's amber eyes were filled with tears.

The golden warrior gazed up at the few stars that were appearing in the sky and he wailed.

"Silverpaw, I'm so sorry. You died because of me!"

Lionwing tried to get the memory of Silverpaw falling out of his mind.

He tried telling himself it was not him. 

That he didn't kill Silverpaw.

But deep down, Lionwing knew it was all.

His. 

Fault.