Chapter 26 Part 2

RAQUEL

It's not every day one of the members of high class society publicly gets arrested. In the case of Derek, walking out of the building in cuffs surprised people beyond anything.

It was hard to comprehend just how one of the most eligible bachelors became in an instant, a criminal. Given the unprecedented amount of evidence that surfaced 'out of nowhere,' he was jobless and will have to adjust to a jail cell as opposed to his penthouse.

I had been ignoring the phone the whole day, people calling to hear if all the allegations and charges he was facing were true.

Humming a little tune I moved around setting the table. I hadn't made any move on inviting a specific individual; still my mother was sadly just like Derek- very predictable.

I knew she would never miss the opportunity to chastise me like a child. So the sound of frantic knocking on the door never disrupted my movements.

Opening the door with a wide smile on my face I was met with a look of disapproval on mother's face-

I'm beginning to suspect that's the only expression her face can show.

She pushed me aside and as if this couldn't get any better, Brandon walked in matching the same look of disdain as my mother. I followed behind until she stopped by the threshold of the living room to find Morgan, Angie, Daniel (our new addition) and my father. They were all laughing at whatever joke my father had cracked. The mood was light until my mother cleared her throat inevitably making all eyes shift in her direction.

"Janelle, don't you look exquisite," my father said openly admiring her. My mother rolled her eyes disgusted by him, this only motivated him further as he smirked," I see you haven't changed, it's fine I guess I'll just have the memories of us back in our youth to keep me warm at night."

Taking the stance of a woman ready to pounce, I decided now was the best time to interrupt this family reunion of ours," Well," I clapped my hands," food is ready," I gestured towards the dining room table.

Everyone stood up without a complaint and made their way to the table as my mother turned abruptly to face me," How can you be thinking about food when your fiancé is facing possible jail time?" she spat. In as much as her yelling used to unnerve me, my eyes zoom in on the vein protruding on her forehead.

How is it I've gone all these years without noticing it?

My mind snapped back to reality upon hearing my father's voice interjecting," Correction- its actually definite he's going to prison. Now," he said moving towards us keeping his eyes trained on my mother," let's eat."

Its only been a few minutes into dinner and I was already chuckling lightly at the comment made by Angie as she described animatedly the scene that was almost out of a crime show of Derek getting berated by his boss and getting his wrists slapped with handcuffs. From my peripheral vision Brandon scowled as Angie continued on without a care of their presence.

"He sounds like quite a character," Daniel commented whilst taking a bite of his steak.

"I'm sorry but who the hell are you?" came mother's hostile voice as she crossed her arms already criticizing any odd stitch out of place on Daniel who looked up at her calmly wiping his mouth with his napkin.

"I always knew your ex was a criminal. And seeing the way Raquel turned out, its a miracle she's not behind bars or six feet under," Brandon said to mother interrupting any opportunity Daniel had to answer.

My father made a move to stand but I quickly put a hand on his arm, silently telling him now wasn't the time. Clenching his jaw he glanced in mother's direction." Is the glamour that far lodged up your ass that its completely demolished any ounce of care for your own blood," he growled. She refused to directly look at him, her breathing changing rapidly as she set her eyes on me.