Chapter 3.

Taylor King

A cool september breeze blows through the trees sending leaves tumbling down to the ground. The big blue double doors swing open as the Liberty High cheerleaders walk out onto the field.

The music starts to play as we go through our routine, "Come on ladies we need this to be perfect for the pep rally." Sheri sighs checking her clipboard. The breeze brushes against my legs as we go through our stunts with backflips and frontflips galore. "Let's practice our lifts."

Since I am the smallest member of the sqaud, I have been allocated as flyer. The girls all gather around me and grab at my ankles, propelling me into the air. Lifted up above their heads standing tall like a tower. "Okay Taylor, remember the arms." Sheri instructs.

With my arms raised in the air, I hold the position making sure everything is just right. The breeze blew harder making my skirt fly up in the air. "LOOKING GOOD TAYLOR!" The football boys shout from a few meters away, making a deep shade of red blush over my cheeks. "Can I come down now before I flash someone else." I chuckle awkwardly.

The girls lower me back down to the ground and we start our cool down routine, "Good practice ladies, Taylor next time please remember the arms." Sheri chuckles handing me my water bottle. Practice finishes and we walk back inside the building, "Looking good ladies, especially you Miss King." Monty flirts wrapping an arm around me.

"You know me, always putting on a show." I chuckle brushing his arm off my shoulder. "Are you out after the pep rally?" Monty asks stopping me in the hallway. "I don't know, where are we going?" I question leaning against the wall. "Grab a bite at Rosie's and probably over to Bryce's." I stand and think about it for a second, Do I really want to spend the night getting drunk with Bryce?

"I'll be there." Monty wiggles his eyebrow. "I'll think about it." I wink as I walk away.

༻﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡༺

"I thought I'd bring you some tea, I know your case is stressing you out." I smile clutching the mug tightly and placing it on dad's desk. "Thank you Little T, how was practice today?" Dad questions picking up his mug and taking a sip. "Cold." I chuckle sitting in the seat across from the desk. "I keep forgetting the last part of the routine, I know it's only raising my arms but it's besides the point." I shrug looking down at my hands.

"Hey, it'll be okay. You'll remember at the rally." Dad smiles reassuringly, pinching at the bridge of his nose. "Are you okay dad? You don't look so good." I question standing up quickly. "I'm fine, it's probably just stress." He reaches out, grabbing my hand.

I let out a long sigh and turn to leave the study, "Maybe you should miss the pep rally, if you don't feel so good." I speak looking back at the man at his desk. "Miss your first cheerleading debut of Sophomore year? I wouldn't miss it for the world." He smiles brightly looking up from his laptop. "Okay, I've gotta get some sleep. Goodnight. I love you." I mutter as I open the door.

"Goodnight Little T. I love you too."

༻﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡༺

Cheers and shouts explode from the gymnasium, I look around searching for my parents. "Maybe they're just busy with work." Jess comforts squeezing the top of my arm. "Yeah, maybe." I sigh as I continue on with my stretches. The game is about to start with all the players on the court limbering up, out of the corner of my eye I notice Zach Dempsey jogging over.

"The game is that way Zach." I chuckle pointing over to his team mates who are all huddled together. "I know, I just wanted a hug from my good luck charm." He smiles wrapping his big arms around me. "Your good luck charm?" I question looking up into his beautiful big brown eyes. "Yeah, I always play better when you're cheering." He blushes squeezing me tightly.

"Zach come on let's go." Justin shouts gesturing him to join the team. "You're coming tonight right?" Zach says as he jogs backwards. "I'll think about it." I shout back making him smile. "That boy is so into you." Jess squeals in my ear. "Come on the game is starting." I laugh dragging her over to the front of the stands.

The whistle blows and the game begins, a friendly between Liberty Tigers and Hilton Hornets. The perfect way to get the student body pumped for the coming season. "LET'S GO TIGERS!" The girls and I chant, the crowd joins in supporting our boys in blue. I turn my head to face the court and my eyes lock with Zach's, I blow him a kiss and his face goes bright red.

Zach gains the ball, the hornets are closing in. Attack from the left and attack from the right, a few minutes left on the clock. He dribbles the ball down the court a quick pass to Justin. Closer and closer to the hoop, the ball gets passed back and Zach shoots. The ball circles the hoop and lands in. The half time horn blows with the score at 35 - 40.

"Let's go ladies." Coach Loftin encourages. I feel my heart pound rapidly in my chest as I walk out onto the court, "I don't know if I can do this." I whisper into Jess' ear. "You'll be fine, just imagine we're at practice." She encourages me.

The music starts to play and I take a deep breath, picturing myself in the empty filed just practing the routine. With each stunt the crowd cheers louder and louder, sending electricty through my viens. The time came for our final lifts, the girls grab my ankles and up I go. Standing tall like a skyscraper, I raise my arms and hold the pose.

༻﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡﹡༺

The game finishes with the Tigers winning by a landslide, the perfect way to start a new season. As the last few people exit the gym, the girls and I head back to the changing rooms. "Congratulations ladies on a perfect performance and too Miss King for remembering her arms." Coach Loftin cheers.

"Are you coming tonight T?" Sheri asks as she pulls her top off over her head. "I can swing by." I chuckle digging in my bag for my phone. I knew Mom wouldn't miss a school event without texting or calling. I unlock my phone and notice a notification. 'Mom - missed call 45m ago'

I click her contact and hold the phone up to my ear, it rings and rings until she finally picks up. "You've got some explaining to do, missing my cheerleading debut." I chuckle through the phone. But she doesn't laugh back. She remains silent.

"Mom? Is everything okay." I question feeling an overwhelming sense of anxiety. "Taylor, I'm at the hospital." She speaks quietly. I can here her trying to hold back the tears, her voice quivers "It's your dad."