b u c k y; mission blues

Plot - Bucky and the others are on a mission, you've been sleeping all day

Plot - Bucky and the others are on a mission, you've been sleeping all day. When everyone gets back, they inform you that Bucky was caught in a blast. However, due to the super soldier serum, he gets better quicker than you'd thought.

Warnings - swearing, implied smut but no actual smut, mentions of an explosion.

————

I practically sleep walk down the hall to get a glass of water, making my way to the kitchen more from muscle memory rather than actual effort. I haven't left Bucky's room all day, in fact, I haven't left Bucky's bed all day.

Everyone else has been on a mission that Tony forgot to schedule me in for, and, after a brawl with Steve and a few — arguably very good — points being made, they decided to count me out.

It's not like I'm bothered, really. I've had a hard few weeks with the missions that I've been sent on, getting too beaten to walk properly one day and waking up the next to do it all again.

I'm about to turn the corner to the kitchen, when I hear a familiar rumble of voices and manage to stop my practically delirious self from embarrassing myself in front of the other Avengers.

I rub at my eyes furiously, trying my best to make it look like I wasn't just sleeping for the entire time that everyone else was on a mission. I suppose, if Bucky's black t-shirt is anything to go on, they'll guess straight away that I haven't been awake all day, but I'm trying my hardest I suppose.

I throw on a fake grin to make it look like I'm more awake than I am, and slip around the wall into the kitchen. Steve, Bruce, Tony, Nat and Thor are sat at the kitchen table, huddled up to eachother and talking lowly. Sam sits on the sofa, his head in his hands while the television plays some random movie that he's clearly not watching.

Wanda is pacing backwards and forwards next to the long table, she looks like she's been crying as Clint and Vision try their best to calm her down. I think my usual 'poor kid' upon looking at Wanda, but I try not to read too much into it.

After all, I understand her struggle of coming to terms with how destructive her powers are. I went through the same thing when I first joined, and now I try my best to train her in knowing how to control herself.

Wanda being upset after a mission is normal, but as I look over at the table full of the other Avengers, my heart does a little flip in my chest when I notice that Steve and Nat also look like they've been crying, and Tony, Bruce and Thor look precariously at eachother with faces that say something is wrong.

"When did you guys get back?" I give them a wobbly smile, my hands behind my back as I tiptoe over to the table. Nat looks up at me, opens her mouth, but looks away like she can't bare the sight of me.

It's Steve that manages to speak to me. "About an hour ago." He smiles an unconvincing smile. "What have you been up to?"

I bite my lip. "Nothing." I say truthfully, shifting from one foot to another. I look around at everyone again, they still look like none of them can bare to look at me.