Chapter 5

Tara *

Once everyone is gone I shut the door behind me and walk out the school gates. I texted mum in sixth period so she wouldn't worry when I came out late. I get in the car and we drive home.

"How was school today?" Mum asks.

"It ... it was different." Not wanting to tell her that the whole time I was there it felt like I was in a zoo with everyone staring at me and that the only thing that brought some peace was being in a classroom alone.

"A good different?"

I force a small smile. "Yes." Mum seems to physically relax. I wonder how she can do that so easily. When she is tense and waiting for my response, how one word ,'yes' allows her to relax her body. How can one word cause relaxation I'll never know, not anymore.

When we get home I shower before dinner. Even when washing my hair I keep my eyes open. I just have to be extra careful not to get shampoo in my eyes but I now refuse to close my eyes unless I'm sleeping, and even then it's hard. After my shower I dress in a long sleeve top and pants then join my parents for dinner, where my dad talks about his business trip coming up. Again mum is tense when he mentions it but she tries to play it off.

"The company has been trying to get this deal for a long time and now that I'm back they are giving me the job because they know I'll get it, so I'll only be gone for two days tops." My dad explains.

"I think it's a good idea." I say. " By getting this job it means you're the best and that your boss trust you to get the deal. You have to do it dad."

My dad looks at me and then at my mum. "I'm the best."

"Apparently." My mother says. Dad looks at me again and smiles, I smile back. Dinner continues with small conversation between my parents. When I'm done I stand and collect my parents plates, avoiding contact of any sort and take them into the kitchen and stack them into the dishwasher. After I say goodnight and go to bed.

I wake up surrounded by pain. Where am I? I try to push myself up but my hands are tied behind my back. What's happening? I struggle against the ties but nothing. I can't get my hands free. Looking around the room I take in my surroundings. I'm lying on a wooden floor that hasn't been cleaned in years. There's a old metal bed frame across the room with a single mattress that is stained and ripped. The window near the top of the room is small with thick circular bars running the length and chicken wire pressed against the glass. There's a couple of desk chairs behind me facing the bed. Looking down at my body I notice that I'm missing a shoe and I have dirt smeared across my legs. A door opens with a loud creak and three men wearing masks walk in.

"Good she's awake."

"About time." Another says.

"Who are you? What do you want?" I ask.

"All in good time little one."

"She's a pretty little thing and young which I like." My blood turns cold.

"Yes very pretty but I wonder what she has on underneath?" The men all laugh. They all walk towards me and one makes the mistake of untying my hands. As he is untying my hands, another man puts his hand on my leg and runs it up my thigh. As soon as I feel the knot loosen I bring my arms around in front of me and start fighting. I slap the hand off my thigh and start throwing punches. I stand on my feet and try to find the door but before I get anywhere I'm slapped across the face hard, followed by a punch to the stomach and a kick to the knees. I fall hard, my head hitting the ground as I scream out in pain.

"Little slut, you'll pay for that."

One guy holds my arms behind my back , another holds my ankles together while the third guy pulls out a knife.