Kabanata 9

Kabanata 9

Pangako

Chamuel looked at me with menacing eyes. Hindi ko alam kung ano ang dapat kong sabihin. For starters, I didn't expect Ana to have a boyfriend. Hindi dahil hindi siya marunong mag-ayos. She just didn't look like someone who'd opt for a relationship. Parang siya 'yung tipong mas inuuna ang pag-aaral.

Well, maybe Chamuel was right. Nothing and no one is always that they seem.

"Wait.. so what's gonna happen now?" tanong ko.

Malambot ang mga mata niya nang tignan niya ako. He looked relieved that I was actually willing to listen now.

"The engagement happened because both our fathers get along very well. Nasa Manila si Papa at ganoon din ang pamilya ni Ana. Her family owns the Arganza Marina Drydocking Services. Their shipyard is perfect for our business, and vice versa. Knowing that, our fathers just had to marry us off to each other."

Sinipat ko si Anayah at nakitang nakaangat ang tingin niya kay Chamuel. Malagkit ang titig niya rito habang marahan pang tumatango-tango. It was as if she found something so astonishing and delightful in him.

Kumunot ang noo ko. May boyfriend ba talaga 'to? Bakit parang...

I pouted. "So, when are you guys going to break off the engagement?"

Chamuel cut a glance at her. She jumped a little in her place when their gazes met. Nang hindi sumagot si Ana ay ipinukol niya muli sa 'kin ang tingin niya.

"We're still planning when. But I'm hoping that we'd be able to settle it as soon as possible because I want to court you, Anastacia."

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko. For the nth time, nabigla niya na naman ako. Ni hindi manlang uso sa kaniya ang mag dahan-dahan! The devil works hard, but hell, Chamuel Valtierra worked harder!

"H-he's right! We'll find a way! Sa ngayon, uh, secret lang muna..."

I raised a brow at Ana. "Where's your boyfriend now?"

"He's in Manila. We still keep in touch with each other. Kailangan ko lang talagang huwag galitin si Senyora habang nandito ako. My parents aren't aware that I ran away. It's all thanks to Senyora and if I were to disappoint her somehow, baka sabihin niya sa mga magulang ko ang nangyari. A little confrontation and the secret about my boyfriend will be out."

I shrugged. That sounded believable. Mukha rin naman siyang hindi marunong mag-sinungaling kaya napanatag ako.

"Okay. Looks like I'm not resigning, then."

Umangat ang gilid ng labi ni Chamuel. "And why is that?"

"We're good now. I still have two weeks before school starts at ayoko rin namang umuwi pa sa mga Ysaguirre."

"Really, now?"

His voice was almost teasing me and I hated how I was fine with it. Parang mas gusto ko pang palagi niya akong inaasar. I loved the cocky look in his face. I loved his confidence. I loved the crooked smile that came along with it. I realized that arrogant Chamuel wasn't so bad after all.

I bit my lip and decided to play with my hands to conceal the embarrassment that I was feeling. Nang mag-tama muli ang tingin namin ay mas lalong lumakas ang tibok ng puso ko.

"Well, since we're okay now, I decided to stay..." I trailed off. "I want to spend time with you more, Chamuel."

After I said that, I expected an amused look from him. My eyes lit up a bit when his jaw dropped and his eyes widened a fraction. He was jolted, contradictory to what I expected him to react. Nang makabawi ay pinasadahan niya ng dila ang ibaba niyang labi.