Thank You For Your Frankness

Ben leapt up protectively at the sight of Arthur, he stood beside Kay, and Kay stood beside him, they both stared down Arthur. Arthur laughed.
"Ben! I can not BELIEVE you! You're really fucking KAY for the good books!" Arthur retaliated with. Ben walked over to him, hands in his back pockets.
"No Arthur, not at all, if i'm honest and to make you happy we haven't even gone that far yet. I love her, I love her for-"
"I DID NOT ASK FOR A SOPPY ROMANTIC STORY ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU LOVE HER!" Arthur was really angry, he hated Kay and knew that Ben would now hate him, due to his and Kay's subtle frustration with one another. The anger filled up more in Arthur. He saw Kay's smug face as she smiled watching Ben protect her. Ben tilted his head to look at him, waiting for his next insult.
"Kay, you know what, I don't like you. I don't believe you should be running this paper. You are a woman and you are stupid. YOU PUBLISHED. That's a woman's mistake" Arthur said in a quiet, yet scary tone. Kay nodded and smirked again.
"Thank you Arthur for your frankness," She said smug, knowing she's said it before, and how much that annoyed him.
Arthur shook his head, he lunged at Kay, and slapped her, Kay fell back onto her desk, coffee spilling over her files. Kay gasped with the pain and let out a wince, Ben could not believe his eyes, he grabbed Arthur's shirt collar and pulled him close.
"Do not hurt Katherine again," He snapped, quietly. Arthur laughed, but Ben's punch to his cheek cut off his cheeky laugh, and Ben let go of Arthur, as he fell onto Kay's office carpet. Ben rushed to Kay, and grabbed tissue seeing her nose bleeding. Carefully, Ben sat down and sat Kay on his lap, gently tending to her bloody nose. He sighed, he saw the fear in her eyes, he placed kisses on her head.
"You're safe Kay Bear" He whispered. Arthur stood up, Kay brought herself back holding the tissue, and gave him a look.
"Consider yourself not part of my board anymore, I think you should leave." Kay said, softly, and intimidatingly. Arthur shook his head and walked off, and Kay snuggled into Ben. They held each other for a long time. Ben checked on her nose.
"Ew blooddddd" Ben said giggling.
Kay giggled, and wiped it all off. Ben smiled, This was truly who he wanted to share his life with.
The Next Day
Arthur didn't tell anyone. Knowing that would get him more in trouble, so Kay and Ben were still safe. It was late evening, both of them were walking home, and holding each other. They kissed, nuzzling each other on the way to Kay's home, unaware they had a uninvited visitor following. The visitor snapped the moment they kissed, and then ran off once again. Kay felt uneasy after hearing footsteps and turned around, seeing someone run.
"Ben, Ben someone saw someone was here" Kay said shakily, tightening her grip on his shirt. Ben, scared himself, hid how scared he was and kissed her head.
"It's alright don't worry, It's ok, shh" He brought her to a cuddle. They walked home, cautiously and locked all the doors and windows incase. Unaware what they would wake up to tomorrow.
The Next Morning
Kay walked downstairs, the paper on her doorstep, she picked it up, and slipped on her glasses as she sat on the sofa. Front and centre was the photo of them kissing, titled with, Editor and Boss in Love: Katherine Graham and Ben Bradlee. Kay's eyes filled with tears. She wanted to take her time to announce it, and wanted to take her time with Ben. Now, the whole of Washington and New York would know that Kay was back in love, and both of them would face controversy and hate. She sighed and took off her glasses, more tears falling onto the fresh paper. The idea of Phil came flooding back, he would not like Ben, he would not like how she hid it. She cried, letting out quiet sniffles as she read the article. Ben Bradlee, fresh out of divorce went for the only woman that was available, widowed Kay Graham, both of them ruling the Washington Post. Bradlee is thought to be doing it too keep keep his job after struggling for money after the divorce, Graham lonely after her late husband died nearly a decade ago. She shook her head seeing Phil's name in print, she whimpered.
"I'm sorry Phil I-I am I'm just lonely.." She sniffled, and took off her glasses to hold her tears with her hands. This was it, the end of her reputation, and probably the end of the Washington Post, for the second time.