Arrival at Targu Mures

November 1st 2018

Targu Mures

The armada of helicopters landed at a location south of Targu Mures, miles behind the main line of defense. It was, just like in Constanta, a soccer field-turn helicopter landing pad. It was surrounded by a field hospital – previously a tall podium used to watch the games played on this field – and a makeshift quartermaster’s shack. Colonel Thornton decided on a theatric entry, with the rear ramp of his helicopter opening far before touching the ground. He stood on the ramp, along with the loadmaster, and waved out towards the waiting party of Romanian officers in berets and greens.

The colonel’s helicopter was the first to set down on the ground, and as it did, the colonel jumped out – first on the ground – followed by his adjutant, a Captain William Norton, a rather nonchalant graduate of the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, his lack of enthusiasm much contributed by the lack of fellow Annapolis graduates within the headquarters company. Most officers were either mustangs, ROTC, and OCS graduates who had climbed their way up, and thus was the norm of the USMC today. Annapolis graduates didn’t really matter here; the only way you can be good in the Marines is to fight your way up and find ‘friends’ on the way.

2nd Battalion Commander Major John Eldridge followed shortly after. Then the Headquarters staff followed, safety on and fingers off the trigger. Without delay the other Chinooks released their heavily-armed load and took off again to Constanta to carry their second load of troops. So far, three of the four companies of 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines had been successfully transported to Targu Mures without casualty.

Colonel Thornton, who landed first with his M4 on his back, quickly went over to the waiting party of Romanian soldiers. One of them wore a peaked cap while the others wore berets, and on the cap’s visor lay laurels, signifying his rank as a general-grade officer. The two officers shook each other’s hands.

“General Posticoglu, sir?”

“And you must be Colonel William Thornton.” Said the man, who had an accent. He was tall, rather stocky, and was aging. The moustache under his big nose was in salt and pepper, and his eyebrows were set in a similar tone. However, despite that, he had the sharpest blue eyes Colonel Thornton had ever seen. Sharp, deep, blue; they looked like they were made from ice. “I believe the trip was good enough?”

“Good enough, sir.” Said Colonel Thornton, who stood tall and well-built himself. For a man of forty years of age, he was very handsome. He had dark brown hair, a godly jaw, and thick eyebrows. Unlike his counterparts he had passionate blue eyes; and he was, to his men, the most handsome man in the Corps. As far as they were concerned at least. He looked like a goddamned movie star. “This is the first of three air lifts of TF Harlequin. So far we’ve transported three one hundred twenty-man companies. The rest will follow in the next couple of hours, if there is no delay.”

“And the armored forces?”

“They are heading here as fast as they can. A rough ETA on them is sixty hours. However, General Posticoglu, the air is ours.”

“Thank God, then. The Russians have been over our heads for days now.”

“What’s the situation, sir?”

“Well, colonel, we’re having some problems at maintaining the western part of the town. The Russians know that we have no armor there, only infantry, and we don’t have a lot of that. There is one place that we call Foxtrot Pass. It’s a small pass a Russian company has been dying to capture, and we couldn’t spare any reinforcements. For now, the whole defense is either walking wounded or dead, except for a small special forces team. It would really be helpful if you can spare a single company.”

“I’ll happily provide one for you.” He said. He then turned to Major Eldridge, who stood somewhat behind him. He was conversing with Captain Winters, Battalion Intelligence. “John, get Captain White. General Posticoglu’s in a tight spot, and we got here in the right time.”

“Roger that, sir.” Major John Eldridge said and then he, instead of telling a subordinate, went off towards Captain White’s landing zone which was just a couple of meters away.

***