Chapter 8

Random Charlie fact:

Charlie is actually asthmatic, but he does his best to exercise his lungs despite his usual sluggishness.

Enjoy~

Ch. 8: New Interest

-•-•-•-

The sun shining at its peak was blinding. But luckily, Kaiden's shadow provided just enough shade as he pressed himself flush against Finnlay's legs. The latter brunette suddenly grew quiet amidst his curl-up session, his friend's question echoing in his mind:

"What's your kind of hell?"

Kaiden narrowed his eyes down at Finnlay, noticing his rather long silence. The silent male immediately averted his gaze, exhaling shakily.

"I. . ." He breathed out. "I. . . can't really say."

The dark blonde quirked an eyebrow then sighed, leaning back as he scratched the back of his head.

"That's fine. You don't really need to answer," he said. "Just a curious thought."

Just as Finnlay was about to breathe a sigh of relief, the duo had been startled by their teacher's voice roaring throughout the field.

"Hey, Dawson and the new kid! I see you slackin' off!" He yelled. "Go and give me some laps! You're not stopping until I tell you to!"

The mention of the supposed "punishment" made Kaiden's eyes light up. He immediately scrambled to his feet, whereas Finnlay remained laying on his back, cold sweat dripping down his face as he now realized what he was about to do.

Kaiden was muttering in excitement while he stretched, all the while the timid brunette slowly got up, rubbing his arm. Sighing in utter defeat, he began to do some light warm-ups as the duo began walking towards the track field.

The smaller male lowered himself into a stance, eyes glazed over with excitement.

"Hell yeah, thanks for this, old man Fox!" He yelled out before he rushed ahead. Finnlay didn't even get to call out to him as he had already started sprinting. Mr. Fox yelled back an insult.

Despite his smaller figure than the brunette, he was damn fast. Just looking at him made the left out male even more tense.

"Hey new kid, if I don't see those legs moving I'll give you more hell than laps!" He jumped at his teacher's voice. Without even bothering to take a stance, Finnlay began to jog away.

The weather was hot and the track field was so wide that the brunette wondered if it was because of the heat, or the path ahead was beginning to look endless. He could see Kaiden jogging ahead of him with such speed that it actually amazed him. I guess he's living up to what Ryker called him—adrenaline junkie.

Meanwhile, Mr. Fox observed the two, then went back to supervising the others. He caught sight of Charlie standing listlessly.

"Hey Stephen, I don't see you moving anymore." He warned, further annoying the silver-haired male. But instead of lashing out, he blankly turned to his teacher.

"Ah, sorry sir. My asthma is acting up. I'm gonna die if I don't rest so I'm going back to my dorm early. Thank you very much." He spoke in a quick manner while walking away, not even giving the older male a chance to further scold him. All he could manage was call out to his student, but just ended up ignored.

Actually, what Charlie just said was both the truth and a lie. He just wanted some reason to get out of there quickly, but at the same time, his lungs were starting to constrict as well. Once in the vicinity of his dorm building, he leaned against a wall, fishing out his inhaler from the pocket of his track suit jacket then taking a long inhale. Once calmed, he leaned his head back, sighing in relief as he felt himself relax.