Day 5

"Anong ginawa mo kay Nurse Maricris?"

From behind I heard his exhausted voice. I move my head a bit just to see him from the peripheral view of my right eye.

"I didn't do anything harm to her." I reasoned out.

"Not harm but harsh. Wow!" I heard a sharp metallic sound as if like something's being put in it. "That's not the right attitude of a Doctor and a Doctor should not posses that kind of characteristic."

"I'm pushing her to be strong and for your information I am not a Doctor. I am - -"

" Patient 2-9-6, yeah I know . . . but that's just for now. Your pushing her to be what? To be strong? Then why she ran to our station area . . . crying?"

"Too vulnerable." I grasp my knee firmly and squeeze it to massage. I feel like there's a needle being prick to my flesh. Even my body - I feel like it is covered by needles.

"But I saw her today. She's so hyper to work. She moves none stop. I think she didn't take her break. Now I am afraid she might get overfatigue. If that happens then there's no nurse to look after you. "

I close my eyes as I feel that sting in my body.

"Now as for you, will you please turn around? I will get your temperature."

I moved slowly until my back landed on the comfy cushion I arched when my body got aware on the lasting pain behind my lower back or waist, it feels like there is a sharp thin line on it and my body will split in two.

"Are you okay?" He asked. I know he saw how the line appeared in my forehead.

I nodded, " It's just that I feel tired and weak."

"Did you eat your breakfast?" I shook my head as a reply. I notice his shoulder go up and down. He then lean on the red button and pressed it, "Is Nurse Maricris, there?"

"Yes Doc. Bakit po?" It's a voice of a man from the other line a male nurse probably.

"Please tell her, to bring the foods for patient 2-9-6. And if you're done with your lunch and got rested already you can go back to your post and assigned patients."

"Okay, Doc."

After talking to the nurse, he look at me and pointed on my forehead the thermal scanner, "36.5." He said after hearing the 'beep' sound.

He pulled the mono bloc chair and place it one meter away from me before he sat, "Any manifestations?" He's holding the chart.

"Nothing serious."

He moved a bit the chart he's checking just to give a warning look at me. Even in his face shield I can feel his sharp stare.

He's not believing of course he's reading my chart.

"Oh well, yesterday I experienced my throat hurt a little, my voice became hoarse too - - "

"Just like right now."

"Huh?"

"Go on. Other symptoms please."

I gritted my teeth, " Why don't you just read it, Doc?"

"I want to hear it from you. Baka kasi dayain mo bigla."

"Ay wow!" I demanded and we both laughed.

"I brought an alcohol." He suddenly said when he notice that I am massaging my hands.

"No special treatment, right? Anyways is that 70%?"

"Yes. Now let's get back to your manifestations. What else?"

"My body feels like I am intoxicated."

"Oh? Pumuslit ka ba ng alak dito?"

Now it's my turn to glare at him.

"I even loss my appetite." I continued. Never minding his jokes.

"And a mild Diarrhea. Is that it?" He asked.

"Mild headache also."

"And why that is not included in here?"

"I'm sorry it's my fault. I forgot to tell, Nurse Maricris."

He wrote something in the chart, he added it I am sure. "Please stay hydrated, Denise."
"And how are you feeling for today? Let's see what we got here. " He turn the page, " Body temperature, throat pains but no cough. You mentioned that you feel weak. What else?"

"Joint Pains, Doc."

"Uhuh."

"And a muscle back spasm. I feel like there's a needle that stings my musculature. I think I need massage. But for now, since I am not allowed to go out, can you please order Nurse Maricris to bring a hot compress for my back?"

"Too demanding patient. I thought you don't want special treatment?"

"It's scarcity."

"It's starting , Denise." He blurt out.

"Huh?" I tried to sound confused. An audible sound escape from my body up to my nose, "Then let's see who will win. Sino ba ang makapangyarihan ako ba o siya?" Those serious words came out from my mouth.

" The symptoms are trying to warn you. Stop being like that. I don't know why you still laughing and throwing jokes."

"Because I have too. Kailangan kong palakasin ang sarili ko at hindi magpaapekto. I don't want to be stress." My words made him stiff.

I heard a not so loud sound and I see his shoulders moves up and down, that even behind his N95 mask I can sense that he's snickering, before he said, "That's my girl."

It made me act of taking a mouth into my stomach and a rolling wave run through my throat. "Dahil wala namang mangyayari kapag hindi ko i-cheer up ang sarili ko para lumaban. It will just make me weak."

"Dok, ito na po yo'ng pagkain ni - - "

"Patient 2-9-6." Kenjie, interrupted her.

"Ni Patient 2-9-6 po." She continued.
She's just there on Dr. La Vega's back holding the aluminum tray.

"Pakilagay nalang sa table, then puwede kanang umalis." He commanded.

"Sige po." Answered by her, before making pace towards the table and put the tray on top of it.
" 'Yon lang po ba ang ipag-uutos ninyo, Doc? "

Kenjie, just move his head up and down.

The lady in her white PPE, turn around leaving her back against mine. She was about to take a step when -

"Galit ka ba sa akin, Nurse Maricris? I asked plainly .

" H- hindi ho." I saw how her head moves down,"Alis na ho ako, Dok." She's talking to the Chief before tramping out.

"See that? You just hurt her."

I look at the ceiling to suppress the liquid in my eyes that is forming.
"How was it feel to have a patient like me? To handle a case with someone who's in same profession and field like you? From your colleague and best buddies turn out to be your patient now." I randomly said instead of letting my tears fall down.

"Please, let's not talk about that. Let's end our session here. Please take good care of your immune system." He said before stand up and turn around and then take his step.

"What? Doc!" I tease while chuckling.

* * *