Day 11

Yesterday, Nurse Maricris didn't stay that long in my room because I  fell asleep remembering happenings in me during in this battle.

"Nurse Maricris, bakit feeling ko nangangayayat ako?" I asked her as I look at my arms,"Did I loss weight? How many pounds did that virus got from me?" I feel the heat coming out of my nose.

I heard her chortle.

"I'm gonna regain my strength and I will get back the kilos that that cheater virus took from me."

"Tama ho 'yan. Ganyan nga ho. Laban lang." She smiled at me, sharing her fighting spirit.

'Laban lang.'

That's the word that my brother always say.

"You know what, once I finished this battle and get out of this hot zone? What would I do third is to eat all of my favorites!" I excitedly exclaimed. "How I miss them all." I close my eyes dreamily, "Cookies and cream ice cream, macaroni salad, spaghetti, chocolate biscuit, brownies, fries, sinigang na bangus, " I inhaled. "How I miss my mom cooking that. I also miss sipping my black coffee, and dark chocolate!" I clap after saying the latter.

My lips stretched as it curves.

"And why my Patient is smiling like that? Nakapikit pa."

I quickly open my eyes when I heard his voice.

"So, how are you feeling?"

I examine his back, waiting for someone to appeared.

"Where's Nurse Maricris?"

"Sleeping. I let her sleep. Because she don't sleep last night. So for now I am the one who will get your temperature." He said and pointed the thermal scanner on my forehead.

"How about you? Did you sleep and had rest?" I asked out of the blue.

He retained his stare on me, even the scanner already beeps, "36.7." He seriously said before putting it down to the wooden table still his eyes didn't move away, "Sacrificing sleep is part of our job and profession. Especially in this kind of situation, Doc."

He emphasized the address, reminding me that I know what is that already.

"I mean, puwede naman kasing ibang Doktor ang magmonitor sa akin. Para pahinga mo nalang ang oras na dapat ay para sa akin." I sincerely said.

His eyes got smaller and deeper, " Do you hate me?" He blurt out.

I suppressed my laugh, "What? No!" But I can't help it, still the sounds escape from my mouth simultaneously.

"Stop laughing. It's annoying."

I cover my mouth with my hands even there's a surgical mask.
"I'm sorry it just that . . . " Again the sounds burst out, " I can't help it. I'm sorry." I even bite my lips just to stop it but it's useless.
"What kind of thinking is that? Where did you get that idea, Chief?" I hold my stomach when another sound came out my shoulders can't stop going up and down because of the laughing, "I just want to you to take a break, and yet you asked me that?" I bluntly said still chuckling.

"I missed that. I miss hearing you laugh like that." He suddenly said.

The corners of my lips slowly going down back to it's place and what he said made my laugh fade.

"Is that the reason why you keep on going back here even you're so exhausted?" I seriously asked.

He cross his arms, "No."

"Then why?"

"Because I am your assigned Doctor and I am the Chief."

My heads go up and down repeatedly, "If you say so. Now what's your business here, Doc?"

"I got the results."

"And?" I scrutinize him.

"Positive. It shows the virus. Even your mucus."

He's talking about my blood sample and phlegm.

"This virus, is attacking you continuously without break.  We don't know until when your immune system will hold this. But no worries, we are trying to look for plasma."

Plasma is the white blood cell from the person who already survive and defeated the virus.

"But you have to help us. You need to maintain your immune system. Make it productive, Denise. You have to stand firm while your still on this battle field."

I nodded my head as my chest go up and down as I inhaled and exhaled.

"Lalaban pa ako." I suddenly said.

I will not let this virus overpower my body.

He extended his left arm and reached my right hand.  What I feel is the latex gloves. He squeezed my hand and said, "Good. That's my Patient. Now I can totally engage myself to the battle. Like I told you you're not alone. We are family." He let go of my hand and then cross arms again, "It's like hitting two birds in one stone."

My right eye brow shut up.

"I will do my duty as your Doctor and I can now fulfill my commitment to your brother." He said as he get up and turn his back, ready to leave.

"What pledge?"

He started stepping, "I promised your brother that I am going to protect and take good care of you. Just like the old times, Denise."

'The old times. '

'Old times.'

                               * * *