13

Everything was beautiful

Everything was beautiful. The tree brightened the living room, the warm lights complimenting the blue and white theme baubles. Mariel carefully climbed up the ladder, keeping a hold of the glass bauble her mother had gotten from Germany.

"Be careful honey," Heidi commented, sending Kelly to hold onto the ladder.

She snickered, watching her sisters hand tremble. "You do know they won't fall, right?" She giggled at her sister, until she heard a loud smash, causing the girl to jump slightly.

"Mum, Kelly smashed a bauble!" Mariel yelled, quickly grabbing the other one she hid in her jumper.

Kelly gasps and glared at her sister. "You bit—." Before could finish, Heidi entered the room with a plate of gingerbread men.

"Language," Her mother warned. "And for the love of nature, be careful Kelly!" She tutted, walking towards the door with the plate of biscuits.

When opening the door, she was created with the Arno Family. Davina squealed, pulling Heidi in a tight hug, embracing pleasantries and talking for a few moments Before Davina stole a biscuit, shaped into a Christmas tree and decorated carefully with the green icing and multicoloured sprinkles moaning at the amazing taste. "This is fantastic!" She exclaimed, smiling at Heidi before rushing over to Mariel, pulling her into her arms.

"Mother, you're going to suffocate the poor girl," That familiar, blissful voice spoke.

Granted, Mariel found out about Vanessa being related to Davina. Although she was initially shocked at the news, she could also see the resemblance but now with that information, Davina had to of known that her daughter was her English teacher.

"Oh please! You're just jealous." She scoffed, wrapping an arm around the girl's waist and pulling her away from everyone, past the kitchen and into the garden.

Mariel was a sucker for the cold weather, the cold wind shooting across her face as leaves spiralled around the large garden, the big tree looked lifeless with all the missing orange, brown and red leaves which made it look more appealing, photograph worthy.

Nonetheless, Mariel took a quick picture of the tree with flash, the sky illuminating the beautiful stars.

"So Mariel," Davina started. "Remember when you told me you had a crush on your teacher?" she said, smirking as she sat on a comfy outside chair with cushions, pulling a cigarette out from the box and sliding it across the circular table, where Mariel was seated.

She rolled her eyes at the older woman, grabbing a cigarette from the box and lighting it with the lighter, putting it back in her hoodie pocket. Pulling on the drawstrings as she shivered.