Chapter 1-The Chop Shop

The judge gave me two days to settle my affairs at the orphanage. 

Lauren took me back to the orphanage and told me in advance the kids were on a field trip at the zoo with Mrs. Zoori so they wouldn't be home until two hours later. 

When we got to the front of the orphanage, it felt good being back home. It was like I could finally breathe again, but all of that was going to be ripped away from me in two days. The orphanage was old and worn down but it was still home. It wasn't like other orphanage, it also worked as a foster home too to those who needed it to be but we don't like calling it that, since the name was tarnished with pain hatred toward the term foster home. Lauren told me I should be happy to be adopted. That Lucy's family was a good family, and would keep me safe from all the things she was afraid of. Even with all her reassurance, I wasn't happy that I was leaving. Its true I was waiting since I was little to be adopted but when I hit the age twelve I was happy where I was. I don't even think Lucy is very happy a the moment with the judge's decision. 

Lucy didn't say anything to me after the hearing. She only talked to Lauren, telling her that she has to go back home and make preparations. She would be back within a day, to help move my stuff. Not that there were a lot of things to be moved. 

Lauren opened the front door and we both walked in. The smell of cinnamon filled the room just like it always is during December. There were twenty pairs of shoes, boots, and flats scattered around the corridor. The same amount of coats were hung on the coat rack, all different sizes and colors. 

"I guess the kids are back earlier than expected." Lauren said shrugging off her coat and throwing it on the coat rack. 

"I'm not complaining!' I said eager to see the kids. 

Lauren gave me a small smile that didn't reach her eyes, "Abe, I need to talk to you about something." 

Right when I opened my mouth to say 'what' twenty kids just popped out and started to attack my legs.

"Abe!"

I laughed and got on my knees and we all got in the big hug that lasted for ten minutes.

"Okay you guys let Abe breathe." Lauren said breaking up the group. 

All the kids started to giggle and went back to their routine. 

I felt a tug on my jeans and looked down, and smiled. There was my two favorite kids at the orphanage. Andrew and Jules, both best friends ever since they laid eyes on each other. They were like two different peas in a pod. Jules was out spoken and loud, just like her red fiery hair and emerald eyes suggested to be. Andrew on the other hand was quiet and shy, with his light brown hair and droopy eyes he follows Jules every where she goes. Even though she made fun of him majority of the time. 

"Abe, why did you leave us?" Jules asked with her tiny hands balled into a fist on her hips. 

Andrew was next to her with a sad look on his face, "Y-yea Abe, we don't like it when you're not here. The older kids start picking on us," 

Jules gave him a what face, "They only pick on you Drew, it's cause you're such a baby." 

Andrew blushed and pushed Jules, "You're a baby!" 

"You even smell like poop!" 

"You smell like poop and pee!" 

Jules and Andrew were now on the floor fighting each other, "You guys stop!" I said holding back Andrew. Instead of trying to get out of my hold he just came closer to me. I couldn't help but laugh at how much Jules scared him.