different was her crime

As she stumbled out of the Giving, she realised there was no hope for her. Valia looked around nervously, they were coming and they had no mercy. Being a poor Half-Bred Fae, she always struggled with the Giving, having to give up a huge portion of her already limited money. However, she did get a limited amount back so she wouldn't die, as if someone died in a Court of Life due to starvation, well the consequences would be dire. Due to this people hated her, specifically the fae her age. They had to pay The Giving, and found it unfair she gets reprieve. It probably didn't hep that she killed all plants as she passed them. The day was clear yet her mind wasn't. A beautiful day that was so common in the Aether Court, a deep blue sky like the ocean on a summers day. Fluffy, white, clouds trailing through the sky like a dog to master. Shining down on them, was heavenly light, illuminating the area and emphasizing the brilliant green plants. Flowing, crystal-like waterfalls and secretive woods filled the background. A colossal castle took up most of the foreground with soaring towers and sparkles of Fae magic, does anyone know why? No...

Apprehensively, she stepped further out just waiting for an attack and unsurprisingly it came, just in the form of words. Valia sighed, this wasn't as bad as normal. When she had stepped out of the giving two years ago, they had thrown li-knives at her...

Standing up, she walked to the table where The Queen of the Aether Court sat - normally in towns, the leader would sit there, however this was Vida. She slowly strode closer and closer to the Queen, her hands where shaking, heart racing...

until.....

she reached the table. Valia slowly looked up at the queen, spite behind a mask of beauty and elegance. "What do you have to offer me?" she jeered. "Judging by your outfit Frehi, I doubt you can offer me much, unless you are giving up your rights to live here. That would be a gift to us all, this is Hallowed, this is a place to live! Not die! I regret accepting you in the first place cause you are ruining our woods." Harsh I know, but when death and life collide there are dreadful consequences. Valia stuttered "Aa-ctually, I've run out of money, the habitants of Vida have stolen my money and I needed food." "Of course you have." Queen Inserang quipped. "Well, you get a reprieve but listen to me Frehi, you are worthless and don't belong here." At with that final statement, Valia trudged over to her seat was, dragging her feet. She sat, nervously waiting for the moment she could get back to her tiny shack and put in her earphones.

When she put in her earphones the world disappears, pain turns into song and soothing melodies relieve the memories and scars. Music was her life, her dreams, wishes, an escape from the world. Those who hurt her went away and she could be her true self - her earphones were the only treasure she had in her life.

Believing that she could go, Valia started to get up when the Giving ended only to be pulled back by a firm hand. "Where do you think you're going," declared Hwif. She slowly turned around, not wanting to look him in the eye. Hwif along with his friends were her main bullies. They were upset that she got away with not giving anything. Hwif was tall and intimidating, handsome, yes, but his features were like crudely chiselled stone. His face held a leering smile and cruel, pitiless eyes, that scorned her as they leant over her. "I can't believe that you are allowed to live here Frehi, let alone not pay anything!" with that he stepped forward intimidating Valia.

She was nervous about what was to happen next, they were holding something behind their backs and leering at her. The sunlight behind them illuminated shadows that looked unnatural and dangerous, shaping something that seemed to be a weapon? Backing away, unsheathing her pitiful weapons that she hides under her battle leathers, yes battle leathers are the only clothes she owns.... but anyway, knives are good yes, if you an assassin... she isn't. However, being the son of an important Duchess guarantees you the right to any training to any skillset, any weapon and a pass for being a brat. So Hwif, who loves to annoy everyone to his greatest extend choose to employ the rank to learn brawn instead of brain. Sadly, he's naturally smart and this allows him to easily learn any type of weapon know to fae-kind.

Whipping out a li-knife, that was behind his back, Hwif and his cronies began to advance. Of course, he had a li-knife, Valia inwardly sighed. Li-knives, are known for the ability to burn any creature they touch - to remove life - as well as being incredibly sharp. Hwif, loved to show off his talent, so he was flinging his weapon around, yet he knew what he was doing as he mercilessly advanced. Then he started throwing knives at her, all of a sudden, they came out of nowhere to hit the brick near her ear, hand, legs, head. Panicking, Valia tried to run but she was trapped, trapped against a brick wall, tall and towering. They all began to press into Valia, Hwif holding a knife out. Trapped, corned, scared, she tried to move anywhere, any direction but Hwif came closer, holding the knife a centre metre above her hand. 'you move," He growled, "you die". He wasn't one for talking but she knew that he would hold up on his threat. She was panicking, breathing heavy and trembling while they mocked her. She needed to get out, up, away, away from them, away from everyone, away from life-

Then an older fae came past, and saw them, cornering her. Obliged to save her by the law, he yelled at them, and so they left. But the man wasn't done-,

'Frehi'" hissed Hwif, 'you better look at me this instant,". She realised that she was thinking in the past, what had happened-. No, she wouldn't let her think of that, so she strengthened her resolve and looked at Hwif. She was sick of getting hurt every time she went to an event, she wished she could stand up for herself but she was weak and lonely. Before she could do something, however, Hwif started taunting her 'What are you going to do Valia Noday,", "gonna go crying to your mummy.. wait do you even have one?" "Aren't you just a little demon?" "That sounds right... you kill enough plants to be one, and look like one too." They all laughed, Valia was know for killing plants as she walked past them and that was a sore spot. Unsurprisingly, it hit hard, no matter how many times, she heard that it still hurt, who cares about being strong, who cares about standing up for herself. She could never do that when everyone was against her when they all hated her. Friends never were there and her family, well who knows who they are and what they did. Being different was her crime and she was punished for life, never once allowed an ounce of sympathy.

So she broke down, trembling and crying, shaking, while Hwif and his cronies jeered on. Slowly they left and Valia was left there, in pitch black, exhausted. She had run out of tears ages ago yet her body still shook and she felt faint. However, she picked herself up, walking slowly back home. It took her a while, yes, yet she managed, drunkenly stumbling into houses and trees, while fae stared out the window at her. She could only hope that the coming of age ceremony wouldn't be any worse, for she knew she wouldn't grow antlers as they did.

1353 words - sorry for not updating, I will try to get on top of it next time but hope everyone enjoys :)