CHAPTER THIRTEEN: DECISION!

Gestalt fidgeted in the rickety wooden chair that sat in front of the great black oak writing desk of the Chancellor to the Infernal Parliament. Rebel had escorted him to the office in secret, for it was a delicate political affair that the new Twilight King would be a human boy.

The office of the Chancellor was quite nice. Crimson silk curtains ornamented the glass windows and allowed in just enough twilight from the sky to light up the important areas of the room, such as the writing desk, the bar stand and of course, the demon whom the room belonged to, the Chancellor himself.

The Chancellor was not what Gestalt was expecting. In his imagination, he had foreseen the Chancellor as being some kind of incredibly hulking beast with enormous horns and eyes that burned like hot coals.

Instead, the Chancellor looked like an anthropomorphic billy goat dressed in 16th century style Western clothing and was about the size of a toddler—his chair even needed a booster seat in order for him to see over the top of the desk.

"I am Valentinus Adramelech, Chancellor of the Infernal Parliament and Asmodai of Pandemonia. And you are Gestalt Balmont, yes? The general has told me much about you, and I am so honored to finally meet you!"

"Hi," said Gestalt, nervous beyond imagining.

"Hi?" said Adramelech

"Hi?" said Adramelech. "I'm sorry, but I'm not very familiar with human phrases. General, what does 'hi' mean?"

"He means 'hello,' Your Grace." said Rebel.

"Oh, excellent!" said Adramelech. "We're off to a grand start then!"

The Chancellor reached for a document on his desk but had to stand on his booster seat in order to grab it. Adramelech's chair wobbled and the thought of the Chancellor falling and smashing his head on the desk crossed Gestalt's mind. The boy sat perfectly still in his chair and tried hard to not smile.

"Oh yes, here we are!" Adramelech clutched the document and hopped back into his booster seat.

"This is the Act of Temporary Appointment in Absence of the King. It is a document that Parliament passed when His Royal Majesty, Twilight King Anu Malsumis, was exiled from our world. This law created the position of Asmodai, the Acting Regent of Pandemonia, and assigned this position to the Chancellor."

"In other words," said Rebel. "The Asmodai carried out the legal and administrative duties of the Twilight King during his absence."

"Okay, so, what now?" said Gestalt.

"Excellent question!" said Adramelech. "Fortunately, our predecessors ensured the act included instructions for how the office of Asmodai would be dissolved and the authority transferred back to the Twilight King. All we need do is bring you before Parliament and present the evidence."

"What evidence?" said Gestalt.

"You can channel His Royal Majesty in the House of Demon Lords and that should suffice," said Adramelech.