|17|

"Breaking his heart was one thing, but now, you want to ruin his life too? Wasn't that enough for you?" Laurel asks me. I'd tried ignoring her and walking right past her, but I couldn't help myself. I had to have the last say.

"No, Lucas has himself to blame for that. I didn't try to rape myself, did I?"

"If you think for a moment that I believe you, then, you must be out of your damn mind."

"Listen, Laurel." I chuckle, "Heh. I really, really don't care if you do or don't. Perhaps, if you were capable of keeping a man, yours wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place." I say and I'm elated as she squirms angrily. "Have a good day, and while you're at it, do try to work on your. . ." I gesture at her dressing. She was wearing a loose fitting blouse and flare jeans and boots. "Choice of attire." I say and give a small smile. I exit the building. The more I saw Laurel, the more my hatred towards her grew. I should hate Luke a hundred times more, but I just can't help it. I hate Luke a thousand times more.

My chauffeur arrives. I enter. "Take me to the DA's office."

**
"Do you have an appointment with the judge?" A woman who I presume to be the Judge's secretary queries me.

"No. I don't."

"Well, judge Lahey doesn't see anyone without an appointment. Would you like to book one? You can see him on Tuesday."

"Tuesday?"

"It's a Sunday, ma'am, and I'm usually not here on Sundays."

"Look," I say in tinniest voice possible, "If you don't want to lose your job, you'll go inside and inform the judge that Natalie Richardson is outside waiting for him."

Her face is pale. She looks shocked. "Y-yes, ma'am" She stutters.

**

"If it isn't the famous Natalie Richardson." The older man says, looking at me from above his glasses and pouring himself a glass of whiskey. His home was vintage.

"Judge Lahey. May I?" I inquire if I can have a sit.

"Most definitely."

"Thank you." I say, smiling. He pours me a glass of whiskey. He hands it over. "It's been a year since we last saw. How are you? You were with child, yes?"

"Yes, I was. I'd like to get straight to the point, if you don't mind."

"Absolutely, please, do."

I sip my whiskey. "You helped me get part of Luke's assets. I got what I wanted thanks to you."

"Yes. I'm aware."

"Whatever you did then, I need you to do it again. Help me win, again." I say to him. Judge Lahey always had on a calm expression, a gentle one, but in reality, the man was nothing but a corporate crook. A criminal in a legal coat.

"In clearer terms, Ms. Richardson."

"Luke tried to rape me. The police is involved. I want to push the case to court."

"What are you aiming at?" He asks.

"I want the case to be sent to your court. Once that's done and the trial begins, I want you to stir up the case, make him believe that you're displeased with him as your court is a sympathetic one. Make it seem as though he'll get a high sentencing. 5 years, 10years, just something to scare him, but I don't want him in jail."

"So what do you want exactly? It's all a ruse?"

"Yes, it is. I want a settlement."

"A settlement? Why go through all the trouble of going back and forth in court? You could always reach out to his lawyers and tell them what you want. Why do you want to go this far?"

I sip my whiskey. I place the cup on the table. "For my pleasure. For my pleasure alone."

"I must say, you've become scary. I worry for you."

"Worry about what you've been asked to do, because, if you fail to do what I've asked of you, when I come after you, you'll have yourself to worry about." Something tells me to record the conversation, so I stealthily open my clutch and begin to record.

"I can refuse to do this." He says.

"You won't, because I'm paying you to make your ruling in my favor as you did a year ago."

"Double. I want double of what you paid me before. You're sending me into the lion's den, yet again."

"Is this how you charge all your clients? So aggressively?"

"Double or nothing, Ms. Richardson."

I chuckle. "Hmph. I'll go with nothing, your honor." I say. I bring out my phone from my wallet. "Our conversation has just been recorded. I have enough resources to manipulate my voice, so no one recognizes it. You, on the other hand. . . I'm sure you know what would happen to you." I say. I smile as I see the frown on his face. The smug smile he had on his face a moment ago had disappeared in a split second.

"How dare you record me in my own home?"

"How dare you threaten me?" I ask, furious. I got really worked up when people tried to play with my intelligence or cheat me. I was done with that. I'd had enough. I would do the manipulating and cheating now. I continue, "You will get the case thrown to your court, I don't care how you do it. You'll do as I've said or else, I'll leak this recording to the press, and it won't end well for you." I get up and turn to leave.

He speaks, "Don't you forget, you've gained an enemy today. I will come after you." He says.

I turn to look at him. "I'm not very forgiving, your honor, so careful now, with your words, because I tend to destroy my enemies completely. I don't spare those who try to harm me. Have a good evening." I say as I walk out. I pause by the door, "And oh, have a lawyer sent to my office tomorrow by ten. I'll be expecting one."