|23|

Before Luke could be called to take the stand, Judge Lahey adjourned the court. The next session would be in 48hours.

Lydia, Jean-Ann and I are outside. "You did good in there. Mentioning the rape in there, gives you the upper hand. We just have to wait to hear what Mr. Carrington has to say."

"I know. Please, do let me know if there's any information you'd be needing."

"Absolutely."

"Thank you, Jean-Ann, for defending me." I say.

She smiles. "Take care of yourself, and your son." She turns to Lydia, "Mrs. Jackson." Lydia smiles at her. Jean-Ann leaves.

"That was insane. I can't believe you pulled that off."

"Neither can I, but I did." I say as I begin to walk forward, towards my car. I pause as someone approaches me from the left side. I look, and it's none other than Lucas. I feel uncomfortable, especially with my son right behind me.

"Please go to the car." I say, as I hand Lydia the car keys. She leaves.

I look away, disgusted, and wondering what he had to say.

"Why are you doing this?"

I turn, and look at him. "You're not supposed to be talking to me. If you don't know, there are cameras all around— this proves my point that you continue to approach me unnecessarily."

"I apologize for what happened in the past. I know there's nothing I can do or say to change my actions that night, I can only beg for your forgiveness because I know I didn't do the right thing."

"Is that sincere though? Would you have apologized if I didn't do all of this? You tried to do it again. Are you a serial rapist?"

He's quiet. If I'm not mistaken, he looks thrown off, sad, even. "I don't believe I tried to violate you again. I don't remember what happened that night, but I would never try to hurt you again."

"You choked me!" I yell as I stomp my feet on the floor. "Lucas, I am warning you, stay the hell away from me. My lawyer has placed a restraining order on you. You must maintain a distance of at least, 100 yards. The next time you break it, I'll ensure you spend the day in jail."

***

"My blood boils thinking about her. I've even lost my appetite." I say, as I drop my fork on the dining table. Lydia and I were back in my house. Louis was with Ashley. We are having dinner. Lydia was sleeping over for a few days.

"She is so bottom level. She irks me too. One would think after you, Luke's tastes would be much better, but I'm baffled he settled for less."

"Apparently, Laurel and him have been together for years. She's always loved him. That's why she was so crazy when I lived in the manor."

"You need to do something about her. She should even be your main target in all of this because, she made that call."

"I know. I'll have my fun with her. Soon enough." I respond.

"So what next?"

"I'm watching. I don't want to pursue the case. I don't want Luke to end up in jail, I'm just bidding my time, until he approaches me for a settlement. Then I'll make my move."

"I'm not going to ask you what that move is, it's rather interesting when it comes as a surprise."

"I'm just worried. Luke's trying to merge the company with another. I can't think of a way to stop the merge, I literally have no power over it."

"You can expose it."

"If I do, Carrington Industries will be investigated. Slush funds, tax evasion, illegal withdrawals and so much more will be uncovered. I can not take that risk. Yes, I want the company destroyed, but not by anyone else except me."