Chapter 18: Candy Canes & Angry Birds (edited)

Chapter song: Battle Scars- Daisy Clark

Stella POV

I was too tired, but I still didn’t want to let Katy down, so I went home, got changed immediately, and let my sister drive me to the fun fair. I couldn’t stop thinking about Aiden’s father and Mrs. Vanessa.

"You're here!" Katy ran towards me. Mason chuckled softly when he noticed that we were wearing matching denim skirts.

"Where's Aiden?"  She asked. I shrugged with worry. What if he changed his mind? Her gaze flickered behind my shoulder and she grinned. He was walking my way with that soft smile of his. His gaze traveled over my body and the corner of his lips tucked up.

"You're here." I breathed, and he nodded while fixing my hat, his nose adorably scrunching.

"There's nowhere else I'd rather be." He smiled, holding my gaze until Katy cleared her throat. He reached out and bro-hugged Mason. He was the only one in school who Aiden tolerated.

"Beautiful creature, can you please come along so I could buy us and my boyfriend a candy cane?" She blurted out then looked at me. I chuckled, nodding quietly when she asked me if she said that out loud.

"Boyfriend?" Mason raised a teasing brow.

"I'm your boyfriend, right? I mean-"

"Yes, you're my girlfriend." He chuckled and she smiled when he kissed her cheek. I held onto Aiden's arms in a squeal. He shook his head with an eye roll before threading his fingers through mine.

My heart was racing. We always held hands, but this time around, I felt butterflies in my stomach. I hoped he felt the same way too.

"Come on, Aiden Black. I won’t keep you away from Emily for too long." Katy teased and I gave her a playful glare. To my surprise, he winked playfully at me.

A second later, I turned to Mason ready to finally explain myself but he was quick to speak. "I understand.”

"You do?" I hesitated as we walked side by side, passing by little kids holding their ice-cream cones.

"I thought about it, and I understand though you should know I would’ve preferred if you told me. I wouldn’t have told anyone. And I want you to know that I had nothing to do with the video at that party. I was as surprised as you were.”

We then sat on a nearby bench facing the large colorful Ferris wheel. "How did you figure it out though? I thought I was doing a great job pretending."

He grinned teasingly. "You were, but your cookies gave it away. They taste the same. And the way you glared at Ashley and stole her phone,”

“You noticed,” I breathed and he nodded.

“Is it okay if I call you Stella? At least when there's no one around.”

"Of course, Mason. You have no idea how badly I miss being called by my real name."

"Katy doesn’t know. What about Aiden?" He pointed his head in Aiden's direction. His gaze flickered to mine and I smiled, tilting my head to one side.

"I don't keep anything from him."

"Why did you disappear? Where were you all this time?” He asked and I told him everything from the start. His face went pale when I told him about the accident.

"I'm sorry, Stella. I searched everywhere for you. I went to your old house but was told that you moved. The school wasn't the same without you.” My heart went warm and I squeezed his hand with a silent Thank You.

"What about Logan? Don't you think he deserves to know? He blamed himself for your disappearance. He used to sit alone and rarely smiled."

"I never meant to do that. I have no reason to hide it any longer. I'm going to tell him everything tomorrow."