Eventualities

Henry was shocked.

He made to stand up, but then collapsed back into his chair.

Amelia loved him? He had always just assumed they would be locked in mutual loathing until the end of their days.

Henry had been the object of affections many times, but the ladies in question would never act like her. He was sure that she hated him; it stunned him that he could be so mistaken.

“I remember when I found out my wife loved me” James chuckled. “Marriage seems to be in the air at the moment, that Artineth girl got married…”

“You chose your wife” Henry grumbled, “It’s not the same thing.”

“Do you love her?” Thomas asked curiously peeping out from behind his armchair. Apparently he had decided he was no longer in danger from flying objects.

“Shut up Thomas!” Henry growled looking as though he would throw another goblet.

“Well do you?” James asked eagerly peering over his. Henry groaned and buried his face in his hands.

“Oh you do don’t you?” James cried, “This is brilliant! Let us have a feast tonight to celebrate! More wine sir!”

“Why wouldn’t you love her?” Thomas asked crossing his arms over his chest. Henry sent him a look that would freeze water.

He had had enough of his cousin’s ridiculous meddling. After all, the man wanted his wife for himself, what was he doing telling Henry she loved him?

“You two sound like a couple of gossiping fishwives” Henry snapped snatching another goblet of wine and downing it in one go. He felt like drinking another ten.

“Are you going to talk to her?” James asked fervently “Can I come?”

“No!” Henry yelled before checking himself “I mean, let us talk of something else…”

He was still reeling from Thomas’ declaration. Amelia loved him? Could it be true? He felt a pang of anxiety at the thought of speaking to her.

If she wanted him to similarly declare his love…he felt a spasm of nausea at the thought.  

“I am so glad I welcomed you into Varsteel” James laughed, “I have not had so much excitement in a decade”

Henry downed another goblet of wine and sighed.

“You should go and talk to her,” Thomas said seriously

“Yes, get out.” James added

***

Amelia’s mind was reeling.

Violet was in danger and her mother was appealing to her for help. She never believed herself ever to be in this position.

“When did you hear of this news?” she gasped leaning forward and clasping the older woman’s hands in her own. To her surprise she saw tears in her mother’s eyes.

“We received word from…Phillip” Eloise gasped, “He did not say he was holding her prisoner, not in so many words. Elereld is under his complete control Amelia, anyone who is believed to be troublesome is…”

“Mother-”

“I have heard stories Amelia!” she whispered hoarsely gripping her daughter’s hands tightly “I have heard stories of what they have done to those who…”

The Duchess looked worn and unshed tears pooled at the edges of her eyes.

“Please Mother I do not want to know” Amelia interjected before she would be subjected to even more fear for her sister’s safety.