alternative ending

"surgery?"

they all turn to seungmin who suddenly uttered a word that they never wanted to hear during their stay in that hospital room.

"w-what does that mean-" jeongin turned to chan and leo who sighed as their heads dropped.

seungmin proceeded to read it all over again, thinking that he might've just misread something.

but no.

his trembling hands went to unfold the random fold on the bottom right of the paper, near the words 'healed only through surgery'.

and so, he thought that a surgery wasn't enough.

chances of getting out of the surgery without making it worse were higher than actually getting healed.

jeongin noticed how seungmin's mood worsened. he could see how seungmin squinted but a tear only dropped from his eyes. "w-what is that, seungmin?"

seungmin looked at him, his eyes glossed with tears pooling on the brim of his eyes. he sobbed as he crumpled the paper. "j-jeongin.."

"just- just tell me, please-" jeongin pleaded. hyunjin beside him was already gripping on his hands tightly. "innie, calm down-"

"JUST FUCKING TELL ME!" jeongin yelled as numerous tears fell down from his face. it was so much. so much that his head ached in dizziness. that the heaviness of it all made his wounds hurt more than it already did. his chest heavier, hurting more.

"th-the chances of surviving the surgery is only thirty-nine percent, jeongin." seungmin finally blurted out as he covered his face with his palms.

fuck this hurt. this hurt so bad.

jeongin's breaths were getting heavier. his grips were getting weaker and the piercing pain in his head doubled.

and then everything turned black.

hyunjin wakes up from the uncomfortable bench. it was already getting cold, and only leo, chan, and seungmin were left there with him.

jeongin took the surgery.

they have been waiting the whole day, it was most likely midnight by now as hyunjin had already dropped, tired.

but it's as if his sleepiness is suddenly wiped away from him once he sees the doctor that handled jeongin. he bolted up towards the doctor's direction before the professional could even go to him.

"uh, kang leo?" the doctor asked. his face seemed troubled, like something bad had happened. but for hyunjin, the face that the doctor currently had was unreadable.

"no- no, i'm hwang hyunjin. jeongin's boyfriend."

the doctor nodded as he sighed and tapped hyunjin's shoulder. "mr. hwang.."

"what? is he okay? is he much better now? can he walk now? please, please tell me he is okay! is he awake? c-can i go there now-?"

"mr. hwang, i'm so sorry.." the doctor looked at hyunjin in pity. "he- he didn't-"

"n-no! sh-shut it! he's in there! and he's breathing and living and his heart is beating! he-he's alive! he's fucking alive don't tell me-!"

at this point, leo, chan, and seungmin had already awoken and ran up to hyunjin, with chan pulling hyunjin before he could do something he'd regret.

"t-tell me he's fine.. please.."

"i'm so sorry, but he didn't survive the surgery.."

hyunjin stares blankly at the casket in front of him. at the pathetic white roses beside it. the lit candles.

he never wanted this.

because inside that casket, laid the love of his life.

the boy whom he had hurt. the boy he met through instagram. the boy he never had the chance to treat right.

"the boy i never had the chance to tell 'i love you'."

this wasn't a part of the plan.

the accident was not a part of the plan.

the surgery was not a part of the plan.

jeongin's death was not a part of the plan.

"hyunjin.. you need to eat."

"no."

chan sighed, "you at least need to eat. you haven't left that chair."

"i don't care. leave me alone." hyunjin answered sternly, not even giving chan a glance.

"if i die, have my grave right beside jeongin's."

jisung shook the bad thoughts out of his head. that same sentence had been running in his mind ever since..

ever since hyunjin died from being hit with a car.

"hey, you okay?" minho asked from beside him. they were at the cemetery now. 'now' which marked the day jeongin and hyunjin first met. the day wherein leo introduced hyunjin to their group. it was the first day of school and they all agreed to gather and visit jeongin and hyunjin's graves before they went to school.

it's already been two years.

"i just- it's nothing." jisung sighed as he gave minho a reassuring glance. but minho wasn't convinced, he always knew when jisung was troubled.

"i don't believe you. now come on, tell me. knowing you, that'll bother you for quite long."

jisung only huffed in defeat, "i keep thinking about what hyunjin said that night, you know. 'if i die, have my grave right beside jeongin's.' it- it bothers me a lot. what if the accident with hyunjin wasn't actually an accident? because he said that the night before he died.. w-what if-"

"hey, hey.. jisung. hyunjin was drunk. he was drowning in regret and sorrow." minho explained to jisung who's hands now trembled. "but-"

"no, jisung. stop thinking about it. let's just.."

"let's just hope they're at peace now."

jisung sighed as he glanced back at the two graves wherein his friends sat near. he looked back at minho as he nodded.

minho smiled before kissing the very top of jisung's head.

"let's just wish our moon and our sun peace and happiness."

"always."