Chapter 5 - The Message

The rest of my first day at Rockland goes without any more drama thank all the gods.

My maths class is as dull as I expect and I spend an hour in the library doing some research for our English assignment. On the way home I call in at the local supermarket and pick up what I need to make myself a nice cooked dinner and then head back to my apartment. It's only about a 15 minute walk from college but I'm panting by the time I get there. I really need to find a way to get in better shape while I'm living here.

My apartment block is set back from the main road a little and is seven stories high. I unfortunately am all the way up on the 5th floor and the lifts haven't worked since the day I arrived.

As I dump my shopping outside my front door and dig out my keys, I hear noise coming from the apartment across the hall from mine. It's been the same every day this week. I don't know what they do in there but the TV blares out full blast and I hear a lot of muffled laughter and pots and plates clanging as though someone is constantly cooking.

It's actually become a bit of a comforting sound to me, knowing someone else is around, living their lives nearby. I'm not used to living alone. Although, I'd quite happily live alone for the rest of my life if the alternative was living with Josh for even one day. I shiver at the thought and push my door open. Crossing my fingers I flip the light switch and am happy to find the power is back on.

My apartment is not the biggest but it's just perfect for me. It opens straight into my open plan living room/kitchen. I like it because it's cosy and I can cook in the kitchen at one end of the room whilst watching the TV at the other end. There's also a little island to eat at.

Next to the kitchen is a small hallway with a bathroom to the left and my bedroom to the right. I've still not fully unpacked but I'm getting there and I plan on using the weekend to finish off.

Once my shopping is away I make a start on dinner whilst Spotify blasts out my Beatles playlist. I know they're old fashioned, and I do like other music, but the Beatles is my happy place and I find myself dancing around the kitchen to 'Hey Jude' and 'Come Together' whilst eating more of the ingredients than I actually cook.

I sit at the island and eat my homemade shepherds pie for one, savouring every mouthful of authentic British cuisine whilst some US crime drama or other plays on the TV. I've actually gotten quite into these, they're unusually addictive and I've even started recording them if I'm going to be out. Call me sad but I enjoy the simple things.

I'm just clearing my dishes away when my phone rings. It's Beth. I forgot I was supposed to call her!

"Hi Beth" I answer whilst I start to fill the dishwasher.

"OK spill" 

I laugh. I guess that's her way of greeting me.

"Look there's nothing to spill, I told you he helped me this morning. When he found out it was my first day he said I should sit with him and his friends at lunch, I guess he felt sorry for me"

"Girl, don't even. I cannot put into words how unbelievably jealous of you I am right now. What did you talk about? Does he like you? Are you like dating?"

She's getting more shrill and I pull the phone away from my ear.

"Dating? I met the guy twice and he's my friend... at least I think he is. I hate to break it to you but I haven't really been looking at him the way you do and I don't want to date ANYONE right now, believe me"

"Ok ok I hear you. Friends... not dating... yada yada. But, if you DID want to date him though, just FYI, you should definitely go for that, I mean I'd probably combust internally but that would be my problem not yours. But imagine how fucking unbelievable that would be..."