201. The Great Fall of Calphian

[Later that day]

"Reporting." Dartion reported while kneeling. He arrived at the steps of the throne while covered in blood.

"Dartion, what in the world happened to you?" Yulian stood in front of Dartion and helped him to his feet.

"Flamel was much stronger than I anticipated and attacked me. I was able to slay her by chance. But when I struck her down, she disappeared in a mist of gold." Dartion stated. "I've never seen anything like it. Before she attacked me, I can confirm that she was speaking to the children you were after."

"You've done well my friend. It is now time for you to rest." Yulian said kindly.

"Thank you-" Dartion wasn't able to finish his sentence as pain in his gut revealed just what Yulian meant by 'rest'. When he looked down, he saw Yulian's orange dragon arm buried inside him and sappy the last bit of life from him. He looked up and noticed a slab behind Yulian's head.

On the slab was a list. The second item of the list was already crossed out with a single line. Eliminate Lord Bansfivner. The first item on the list was currently being crossed off as the last ounces of life left him.

Sacrifice Dartion.

He smiled ironically for his friend's betrayal and cursed him with his bittersweet feelings of loyalty. "May you never have everything you wish for."

When the life finally faded from Dartion his body slumped to the floor.

"Although I may not have been able to defeat you before my friend, this was a unique opportunity. I hope your soul will not begrudge me too much." Yulian said as he flicked a handkerchief from his pocket to wipe off the blood. Then discarded it on the corpse. "Guards clean this up and prepare a proper burial. Also send for Groveon."

"Right away, your majesty." Loreon saluted as he received the command and began issuing orders. In the course of two days he'd seen 'king' Yulian eliminate both the head of the Sadeki House, Lord Bansfivner with a word, and Yulian's own personal friend, Dartion.

Yulian was a gentlemanly fellow with manners and a certain noble dignity but at the same time he was cold and calculating. Although he was the polar opposite of Cal, who Loreon had chosen to serve, it was hard to call either of them evil. Not because they had never down anything despicable, but because they both operated in the grey. They each gave life weight but weighed them differently. Cal sought to preserve his kingdom while Yulian sought to obtain it.

It was easy to define a tyrant as someone who drank away their time on the people's money. Oppressed those they didn't like for poor reasons, or those who selfishly obtained women and possessions.

Both of them acted on Selfish desires, but neither was weak or unkingly while doing so. Of his own kingdom, Yulian might not be a bad king. It was a shame that he envied the Pearly City and Calphian. It was a pity that he had agreed to the terms of a spiteful woman dragon for power. But at the same time Cal had power from some sinister source that may be even more terrible. People may have their own reasons for hating or respecting either. Neither of them were actually Saints, despite what the fanatics wanted to believe.

What Loreon had decided was that he could no longer support Yulian or his methods, especially concerning the fake church in Cal's name and the atrocities it had committed.

For now, Loreon just had to play his part. His family and the others that had joined him had already been saved. It was just up to Loreon to keep up the act until he was called upon to do his part. One last act of sacrifice, that would condemn 'king' Yulian.