The Reaping

I woke with a start, shooting up in bed panting. Over the past few years nightmares had became a normality and this is how I would usually start my day. I pushed my midnight blue hair off my sweat laced forehead and tried to normalise my breathing. I looked to the side of me and Manon was still fast asleep. I lay back down next to her and started to sing as I stroked her dark chocolate locks.

Deep in the meadow, under the willow.

A bed of grass, a soft green pillow.

Lay down your head, and close your eyes.

And when they open, the sun will rise.

Manon opened her eyes and smiled at me. She'd obviously forgotten what today was, then she grasped me into a vice like hug. I could feel the droplets of water falling from her eyes onto my night blouse.

"Hey ... little duck, I promise nothing is going to happen to you. Remember you're only in the reaping bowl once." She nodded her head slowly at me but I know she didn't believe a single word I just said. I looked into the caramel orbs as they glistened with tears. "How about you put your pretty dress on and then I'll do your hair in the plaits you like?" She slowly nodded at me then climbed out the bed making her way to the bathroom to start her morning regime.

I walked along the hallway and found my mothers door open.
"Mama?" Mother was sitting on the edge of the bed holding a picture of herself, my dad and me. I couldn't be more than 4 years old in the picture and the happiness radiated out to the audience. I walked closer to her so she'd look up to me.
"I need you to hold yourself together today. Not for me but for Manon. She'll be petrified that her ma might be calling her name. You need to be there for support." She nodded at me and I embraced her into a quick hug before I started to leave the room.

"Marinette," I stopped in the doorway but didn't turn round.

"Yes Mama?"

"I'll do some of your favourite croissants for breakfast." I turned to look at my shell of a mother.

"That'd be really great thanks."

As Manon went into the bedroom to put on her reaping outfit I headed to the bathroom. As I took off my night clothes and stepped into the shower I let my weakness overtake me. Putting one hand on the wall to keep me up straight I looked down into the bath tube. I could no longer tell whether the water was just water, or tears.

Once I'd finished in the bathroom I headed over to mine and Manon's bedroom and began putting my reaping outfit on. I buttoned up my red blouse before tucking it tightly into my knee length black skirt. The red was slightly bold for this district, however I'd been experimenting with the dye from fruits and fell in love with this alluring colour. Luka told me I was careless to wear it to reaping ... that was until I explained to him I don't give a damn about what the Capitol think.

I walked downstairs hairbrush in hand ready to style Manon's hair only to find it had already been done. My mother walked into the room and stopped looking down at her feet.

"I thought I would give you a chance to take a little bit longer getting yourself ready." Manon looked between my mother and I, you could tell she felt uncomfortable. I walked over and put my hand over the delicate weaving on Manon's head.

"It's beautiful little duck." I looked over and gave a small smile to my mother.

"Please can I do your hair Marinette."

"Of course Mama." My mother walked over and started to brush down my long locks.

"I can't believe how much this has grown dear." The last time my mother had done anything to my hair it was just past my shoulders. It now reached my waist. She took her time gently plaiting it before pulling it over the crown of my head and gripping it in place. It looked beautiful.