KOLT

"We have to find Fione." I whispered to Arthur as we exited the room. I explained everything that happened. He was willing to risk everything and go against the king, my father. If he went down, I'd be there for him. "Fione the thief?" Arthur questioned as we turned a corner. "She's not a thief. She was framed." I countered, "You don't know her so don't be so quick to judge." I heard Arthur snicker as we walked. I crossed my arms, "What's so funny?" "How in love you are with a maid." Arthur said, "It reminds me of my own love, Valen." He straightened as we passed more soldiers, we turned another corner and he stopped when we approached a door with two gold lions perched at the corners. "I heard those are the king's chambers." He said as we marched towards the open doors. I grabbed him arm, "Fione is supposed to be in there." He nodded, then rushed in. There were no soldiers inside the room, but we were definitely inside the king's chambers.

"They clearly ransacked the place." Arthur pointed out, stepping over an overturned vase. I looked around the room, my gaze stopping at a helmet that was lying on its side on the floor. "This could have been Fione's." I gasped, "Did they take her?!" Arthur refused to meet my eye, "I... I don't think so." I set the helmet down and walked to a strange book case next to the entrance to the bathroom, "They didn't bother with this." "We have orders to search beds for hidden valuables and rooms for royalty." Arthur stated, "They wouldn't waste time on a book shelf." I tilted my head, running my fingers across the spines of the books. One of the books was set unevenly. I pulled it out, startled when I found a lever, "Athur, look." He joined me, "Pull it." I hesitated, "Lock the door." He nodded, doing as I ordered. I forgot for a moment that I was second in command.

The bookcase split in two, revealing a dark entrance. I took a step, starting down a staircase slowly at first then as I continued, I went faster. I was stopped by something blocking my exit. "Shall we turn back around?" Arthur asked behind me. Once my eyes adjusted to the dark, I saw that it was a door. "No," I said, "let's knock and see what happens." I knocked once. When no one answered I knocked three times. I let out a frustrated huff, knocking one more time. Suddenly the door swung open and a woman pulled us in. I took off my helmet, "I mean no harm." "We know. She told us you would come." The woman said, I immediately recognized her as Queen Crystalia. Beside her stood none other than King Orvan. I gave them a slight bow, "I gravely apologize for my father's doing." "We don't have time for apologies, especially when it isn't your fault." Crystalis gently chided, "Go save our niece." "What do you mean by save?" I asked, panic rising in my chest. "She left with Prince Vimrose to fight..." Orvan gave me a frightened expression, "your father." My heart skipped a beat and a cry caught in my throat, my father would murder her if she faced him. Crystalia escorted Arthur and I to an escape exit. "Please save her." She whispered, slipping my helmet over my head. I ran through what seemed to be a cave until I reached outside. We were behind a waterfall, just outside of the castle in the royal gardens. I briefly took in the sight, the gardens were even more beautiful than Hannaia's gardens. "Kolt!" Arthur gasped, "Over there!" In between the waterfall I saw glimpses of my father... and Fione backed so close to the wall of fire. She was going to die and my father was going to be the cause of her death.