KOLT

I led the way, my horse obeying my commands. I thought I had everything under control until the flames grew higher. The growing flames blasted smoke and ash at my horse, scaring it.

    "Caliver! Tie the horses' reins to a tree!" I ordered, yelling over the sound of the rushing flames. He nodded, hopping off of his horse.

    "Cal," I stared him in the eye, "Don't come until I say so."

     "I want to fight!" He persisted, "Please!"

    I fought the sting in my throat, "I don't want to lose you." Caliver stared at the ground for a moment, then he hugged me, "I love you, cousin."

    "I love you, Cal." I said, "Now go protect the horses. If we aren't back by nightfall, return to the palace."

     He gave me a swift nod then grabbed the reins of his horse. He then took the other horses' reins in his hand then ran off.

    I watched as he left my sight, the smoke blocking my view as if on purpose. I glanced at Fione who was watching as well. She let out a huff, "At least we have our swords. What's the plan, Kolt?"

     I shook my head, "I'm following you on this."

    "Okay..." She paused, looking around. She pointed at the brick trail on the ground in front of us, "My guess is that this leads to the palace. Let's follow it and pray for the best." We ran as fast as we could, casually- and cautiously- continuing whenever we heard the footsteps of soldiers.

    "There it is." Fione breathed, stopping next to me. I followed her gaze to a big grey stone building with moss in the cracks. There was something about it that took my breath away. However, you could tell that the castle wasn't their highest priority: the windows were. The stain glass windows reflected off of the sun, the colors almost blinding me if it weren't for the smoke. In the stain glass windows were different scenes.

    The first was of God speaking to Mary, the second was of Adam and Eve, the third depicted an empty tomb with three crosses on the hills in the distance, and the fourth showed a man stepping on a snake. The snake was made of bones, it looked wicked. It sent chills down my spine.

    "It's a miracle that these are still in tact." Fione commented.

    "There's a reason these are still standing." I pointed out. We remained in our stance for a moment staring at awe at the windows towering over us.

    "Shall we continue on?" She asked. I could tell she was anxious but she was also incredibly brave. I motioned for her to continue, "You lead the way."

     She gripped her sword tightly as we continued to the entrance of the castle. She lingered in the entryway, listening to the flames as they crackled and danced in the distance and the cries of villagers as their beloved kingdom was pillaged.

     "Do you think they'll believe me?" She managed to whisper.

     "Of course." I reassured gently. She let out a breath then began walking. The doors were open so we had no issue entering the palace. What we did have problems with, though, were my father's guards waiting to attack anyone that entered. Fione casually continued on as I stood, frozen.

     "What are you doing?" I whispered, jogging to meet her pace.

    "We are in Hannaian armor." She said quietly, "They think we're on their side."

    My face grew red, luckily she couldn't see it. I was the prince, I should've known that.

    I watched the soldiers as we tread past them. I was the prince of Hannaia, the second in command to those soldiers, but I was also a fugitive in their eyes as well. My father had betrayed me and locked me up for knowing the truth. He lied to the king of Jestan, Fione's father, and he lied to me as well. He wasn't going to keep Fione safe, he was going to lie to her about who she really was and give her to some maid to raise and abuse.

    He promised Fione's father that he would give him and his daughter safe keeping. He gave Fione's father the highest rank in his army, promising that nothing bad would come to him but he ended up sending Fione's father to war instead. He knew he would die, he put him on the front lines. I wondered if mother knew about his plans. It made me sick to my stomach to think that she did and she supported him.

    "There's the throne room." I whispered, "I bet that's where the king is."

     "Or his chambers." She added, "Should we split up?" I turned to her, frightened by what could happen if he did. I couldn't lose her, not yet. She was my first love, my only love. I hesitated, grabbing her hand. She squeezed my hand, "Remember who has us." I wrangled with my fear, then reluctantly nodded, "You search the chambers, I'll search the throne room."

    "Meet at the entryway." She told me as she ran off towards the stairs. I peeked my head in the throne room, there was no one that I could see. I quietly walked in, freezing when I heard voices and footsteps approaching.

     "I need everyone searching now!" My father bellowed, "You there!" I spun on my heels, saluting.

     "Don't just stand there, go with Arthur and search for King Orvan." He demanded, not even trying to see who was under the helmet. I was grateful for that, but I wasn't happy that I had to join Arthur.

    I followed Arthur as he bounded for the stairs.

     "You are awfully quiet." He prodded, "Tell me your name." I silently stared at the floor. Arthur would recognize my voice, he and I played when we were young. He'd lived in the castle his entire life, like me.

    He stopped me, "That's an order." I grabbed his arm, pulling him to an empty room. I tore off my helmet, expecting a shocked reaction from him. Instead, he pulled his off too. He was drenched in sweat, his black hair sticking to his face.

     "Kolt!" He whispered, "Thank God it's you!"

      I gave him a puzzled expression, "You're not going to turn me in?"

     Arthur wiped his hair off of his face, "Your father is attacking an innocent kingdom and the only person who can stop him is you."

     "Yes, but how?" I asked, "He has an entire army against me and-"

    "You're the prince." Arthur interrupted, "You are second in command and you can turn the soldiers against him."

     I shook my head, "I tried that."

     "With who?"

     "The guards on the bridge." I responded.

     "Those two don't count." Arthur scolded, "If you can rally enough solders, you could combine your forces with King Orvan's and defeat your father and his wicked schemes."

    He had a point, but defeating my father would mean I would have to kill him. I couldn't bring myself to it.

   "You're right." I admitted, putting my helmet back on, "You lead the way."