Chapter 4

(Five Days Later)

Grusa-kal landed next to a small lake then the tall mountains first came to view in the distance. Only once in his life had he ever visited the Mountains Above the Sky, the time he was appointed Top Elder. That time, as he plans now, he flew to what is believed to be the tallest mountain in the arc. A mountain known by all Laku as Sharloka, and by dragons as the Spirit Gate.

Because speed was of the essence, Grusa-kal stopped to eat and drink only at dragon clans, which offered him already gathered resources. He always thanked these clans by using his magic to burn into rocks some little-known useful spells. But in the Mountains Above the Sky range, a dragon travels alone. No clan of any species lives very far within the tallest mountains.

He took a few minutes to rest and drink. From experience the flight from this direction will take him two days each way through the arc. Cold temperatures and thin air will make it hard for him to breathe, let alone fly, amongst the towering giants. The highlands he had passed on his way here were nothing in comparison.

On the way here Grusa-kal thought about Anyle's words, but he had yet to find the true meaning. It was certainly possible that one of his descendants would be forced by fate to deal with the humans. Anyone could think of that, and on the surface it made plenty of sense. After all, more than one Greatest Elder has hatched from another. But it did not explain why he, and only he, should consult with the spirits. As a spirit dragon, Anyle could have already spoken to the spirits and have been told information. Any of the spirit dragons present that day could have visited right then.

It was well known that Anyle could see conclusions that others did not. Sometimes he was right, other times he was wrong. Whatever the Speechless One saw here, though, made little sense outside of his eccentric mind, and he had yet to explain. On his return, Grusa-kal intended to meet with Anyle, dragon to dragon, and demand an explanation as to why he had to reveal such a deep secret. What purpose it served in the plight against the humans. He needed answers.

But here he was, in sight of the snowcapped monoliths, with only a quest and no explanations. No guarantee even that he could speak with a spirit. Sharloka gave him the best chance, though finding a fog bank or a mountain touching a low enough cloud would require a shorter trip. Those ways, however, required searching and were not always reliable. At least sleeping on top of the Spirit Gate gave him a sure chance of visiting the mysterious world.

Crouching, he leaped and flapped hard, trying to gain some height. Everything was uphill from here.

# # #

(Two Days Later)

On paws and knees, Grusa-kal slowly crawled the last twenty feet of snow-capped rock to reach the very peak of Sharloka. The air was too thin to breathe, much less fly. He focused all his magic to maintain a denser patch of air around his head, though the density was relative to the almost nonexistent air around him. It was barely enough to maintain his life.

Pausing along the way, he took in the view all around him as he pointlessly tried to catch his breath. Only once had he seen the land from this high up, and it was then, as now, in this very spot. Last time, clouds had obstructed much of his view, only allowing him the sight of a few tall mountains peeking through the lake of puffy fog. Even that sight long ago had been breathtaking, but nothing compared to what he saw now. The vibrant orange of the setting sun reflected off the snow of these icy giants' west facing sides. Shadows from neighboring mountains contrasted with the light, adding majesty and drama to a sight he would never forget in all his remaining days.

The setting sun, while offering him the most beautiful scene in the world, reminded him that nightfall approached, and that his time here was limited by many factors. He needed to move again.

After a few agonizing minutes, he made it to the tallest point on the mountain, and possibly the highest point anywhere. Few dragons could hope to fly this high, even the strength dragons, and none could fly here without magic. Making it to this peak, enduring harsh cold, high winds, and thin air was enough for any dragon to gain the respect of their peers. Now he had done it twice.

"There is a reason I am Top Elder," he thought, then stopped. Thinking that thought bothered him. He had become an Elder at a younger age than most, proving his ability to study history to find long lost, not widely known spells. His skill in understanding and translating Wyrmic surpassed that of nearly any other dragon. Grusa-kal, back even then, held himself to the highest of work ethics, tuning out any and all distraction in an attempt to broaden dragon kind's knowledge and to make life easier. When the previous Greatest Elder stepped down from her role, he gladly challenged others for the title and emerged victorious.

Yet that burden had certainly changed him. As a youngling, he had a curiosity about all things magic and how the world worked. Times he should have spent strengthening his body and his hunting skills he spent instead in caves and scrolls. Others like Klhega joined him in his pursuits, giving him companionship and help. Even a shoulder to lean on.

The burden of leadership, coupled with the pain from his prophecy, destroyed the old Grusa. The conjurer without his title, without his duty. Top Elders did not lead the dragons the way other leaders among the Laku lead their clans or groups, but Top Elders still had much to do and an image to maintain.

Was this the burden one of his descendants must endure? As part of his blood they had a good chance of possessing the qualities needed to become respected. His own mother had been a Master, and her mother had been an Elder for Ilugi. Klhega herself is an Elder. But perhaps none of his descendants wanted the position. Capability usually meant much more than willingness, especially if no one else wanted the title. Should he fail with the humans and die, one of them may very well be thrusted into his position, for all three were smart, capable dragons. And then endure the burdens he now faced.

"Why am I the Greatest Elder?" He thought. "If I cannot be the pillar of strength others need in a crisis?"

Understanding suddenly dawned on him. Why Anyle said what he said. He alone had the duty to seek answers. Not Anyle, not Klhega, not any other dragon at that meeting. He, as Greatest Elder, had to find a way to solve the issue of the humans before more dragons died. And he had to seek help when the musings of one dragon were not enough.

Just what had Anyle seen during that meeting that he only now was figuring out?

He shook his head. He had wasted too much time in deadly air to continue with such revelations. He had to survive if he wanted his actions to help his descendants. Take action so that their burden, though undeserved, might be less than his.

Soundlessly whispering a few chants, Grusa-kal fixed his warming and air spells to draw upon his magic while asleep. It would not do for him to freeze to death or suffocate while in contact with a spirit. He only let either spell do the absolute minimum for him to stay alive, as he needed to conserve what little magic and strength he had left.

With the last of his physical energy, he curled into as tight of a ball as his conjuring dragon form would allow, which was not tight enough for his liking. Conjuring dragon bodies were built in a straight line more than any other dragon and curling into a ball was nearly impossible.

Closing his eyes, Grusa-kal hoped a spirit would grant him an audience.