Chapter 6

At last, the familiar landscape around Ilugi welcomed Grusa-kal, showing him that his long journey was finally over. Though he could not yet see into the invisibility dome around the greatest of clans, he knew the area well. Dragons would meet him, ask him questions, but he needed to rest first. Rest, and record what he had learned. The rest could wait.

Many dragons began to notice his arrival. Several roared in greeting. One took flight, trying to catch up. Being a spirit dragon, it would have trouble but Grusa-kal flew slowly from fatigue. It only took him a moment to realize that dragon's identity. Dlemaur daughter of Klhega. One of the dragons with his blood. Though he did not want to talk yet, he decided he would make an exception with her. Though it reminded him of the prophecy he was forced to share, it gladdened him that no one took it upon themselves to try to prevent the prophecy from occurring.

"Greatest Elder," Dlemaur called out. "You've returned."

"Yes, but I must return to my study to rest and write down what I learned. Can you alert the other dragons to my wishes?"

"I can, for you. But I must let you know something."

"Not now, Dlemaur. Tomorrow I will listen."

"No, it is urgent. Mother was killed in an attack by the humans yesterday."

Grusa-kal gasped and nearly tumbled out of the air. Klhega, dead? The only dragon he had ever fallen in love with. She had been a capable dragon, otherwise she would never have become an Elder. How did they kill her?

"I'm sorry for telling you this now, but I thought you would rather hear it from me or my nestmates, not anyone else," Dlemaur said with such a sad tone. Always a dragon full of emotion, Dlemaur might have been crying, Grusa-kal thought. Internally, she must be devastated.

"Come, follow me," Grusa-kal said softly, fatigue nearly forgotten. "To my study."

"Are you sure? I am only a Master."

"Yes. I will not prevent you from entering. I want to hear the details. Were you witness to her death?"

"Unfortunately, yes. Olcal and Ausyen are still in their clans, but they have been notified."

In his mind he held the solution to end all violence between humans and dragons. But he was too slow to save Klhega. If only he had acted sooner, recognized the threat earlier. Visit Sharloka weeks prior. Maybe, just maybe, Klhega would still fly.

No one seemed to bother him as he flew into the dome, followed by Dlemaur. Perhaps they knew to keep their distance. Perhaps they did not care enough. It made for an uneventful flight to his study, near the top of the tallest stone tower.

As soon as he flew into the opening and landed, he crashed onto his chest. Wings still stretched out, he knew he was making it hard for Dlemaur to land, but fatigue and emotion froze him in place. The world could burn to ashes all around him, yet he would not be inspired to act.

"Grusa-kal, would you like time to rest first?" asked Dlemaur after landing beside him.

"No. I need to know."

His eyes watched as she spotted his little fire pit and made a flame on the charred wood left inside. The soft light and faint heat cast throughout the open room tried to soothe his body, but it was too little. Somewhere along the way, his icy core had thawed, leaving him vulnerable to heartache.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"Just tell me, Dlemaur. Please," he pleaded.

She nodded. "A fortune dragon from our clan, heavy with eggs, had decided to hunt before setting down to nest. Her name is Jamino. She asked me and Mother, good friends of hers, to be with her and keep an eye on things. Wyverns have been spotted lately and a pregnant female dragon would be an easy target. So, we guarded Jamino and helped her hunt, for she seemed to hold more eggs within her than a normal fortune dragon and needed any conveniences we could give. Unfortunately, we did not make it back to the clan before her birthing pains began.

"Me and Mother gathered enough twigs and grass to make a temporary nest, and reassured Jamino that we could safely transport her newly laid soft eggs with magic once she was done. It was the best course of action, rather than waiting a couple of hours for the shells to harden. So, she settled in, with us guarding, as the sun set.

"When Jamino had laid four of her eggs, Mother hissed a warning that humans were near. From the sounds they were making, a whole clan of them must have been approaching. Numbers that we could not have defended against. But we could not move Jamino."

Grusa-kal closed his eyes. He had a pit in his stomach. Deep down, he thought he knew what would come next. The only way such a skilled dragon like Klhega would die.

"Are you awake?" Dlemaur asked.

"Yes, carry on," he said, fear and a little desperation in his voice.

"Jamino had enough awareness through her birthing to cast her own shield bubble and maintain it, but we could not take a chance. Me and Mother agreed we had to keep the humans from coming close to Jamino. She guarded her front, and I guarded her back. Once we saw their numbers and their weapons, we both began to lose hope. This was not a simple hunting party. This was a war party.

"They had their sharp sticks pointed at us and were charging from all sides. They had planned this, likely seeing Jamino earlier that day and guessing her condition. We had no chance. Then Mother said to me, 'I'm sorry.'"

"No..." Grusa-kal whined. "No..."

"She proceeded to use a Forbidden spell to kill every one of them."

"No... did she suffer?"

"No. She died instantly. As soon as all the humans fell over, I rushed to her side, but she was completely dead. No breaths, no heart beats. The Turn... was kind considering the scope of what she did." By now, Dlemaur's voice was shaking and tears were spilling out of her eyes.

"She defended other lives by killing them," Grusa-kal said softly. "That prevented any pain." It was the only comfort he could give her. He needed it just as much as her.

"I... I should have been the one to... make the sacrifice."

"No, Dlemaur. She willingly did it. Probably... as much for you as for Jamino." Even his voice shook. Laying there, he was not the Greatest Elder dragon kind needed. Grusa-kal was just a normal dragon drowning in sorrow. He lacked the strength required of him.

"Maybe it would have been an undeserving burden if..."

"No, no... what..."

"I wish Mother was alive."

Opening his eyes, Grusa-kal whispered, "I do too."

He folded his left wing but held the right one up. A gesture for Dlemaur to curl up next to him, to be together and cry together. To mourn the loss of a dragon near to both in the privacy of a study that few were allowed to enter. An offer that Dlemaur quickly accepted.