SEPH

"How was your day?" my mother greeted me as I get out of my car. 

"It was productive yet tiring ma", I answered. "The new tables and chairs for the elementary students arrived this morning and so, I helped haul them back to the school.  Everyone was so happy - I am very happy too. I can't wait to see the look on the children's faces when they see them".

"Well, I'm glad to hear that. This will surely boost your performance and trust ratings my son. We can't be totally complaisant, not with the coming election next year. You know how important it is to win right?" my mother reminded me.

"Mother, please stop." I cut off what she's about to say.  "I haven't decided on running for re-election yet. I wanted to have my options open." 

I can see the frown on my mother's face and this time, I'm starting to feel tired and weary. Times like this are always tough - I don't want to disappoint my parents, yet I wanted to see what else I can do for myself. Coming from a political family might seem like pomp and pageantry to some, but I always feel like I can do more than jump and follow the family bandwagon that is politics.

"Options?! What options? for god sake! Joseph Alberto Matias, you stop saying that!" my mother almost whisper shout. "We are public servants through and through. My parents, your dad's parents, their parents before us - all our relatives are in some way or another involved with politics. What are you thinking? What has gotten into you this time?"

"Look ma, let's not fight okay? Not tonight, please. I'm tired and I want to rest. Besides, you know I never wanted to run for councilor. If dad didn't have that stroke, I wouldn't be compelled to run in his stead. I could be in a different work sector - working for a different job."

My mother looked at me ashen-faced, then briskly walked away. Suddenly feeling too tired, I slumped down into the large sofa. When it comes to my choice of career, I thought, why do I feel defeated all the time? My head starts to throb. Seeing the bottles of wine on the side table, I pour a glass and drank the liquid quickly - the heat in my tongue and throat spreading rapidly. I pour another glass and gulp it down as quickly as the first. I repeated the same process until I noticed there's no wine left. I feel nauseous and when I looked around, I'm surprised to find that I've consumed 2 bottles of wine! Oh man, I thought - I'm sure there will be consequences tomorrow as sleep claimed me.