NIC

I woke up gasping for air - like someone is choking me. My chest hurt, I am sweating and trembling. It took awhile for the shaking to fade, as I realized I'm just in bed and that no one's hurting me. It's just me, in my dimly lit bedroom, listening to my breathing going in and out.

When the panic subsided, I felt weak as my perspiration turned cold. I hug the blanket and comforter tightly against me. I just had that dream again.

All of a sudden, my mind started recalling fuzzy scenes - I shouldn't be dreaming of that as I've tried my best to forget the incident. I've went to therapy, and followed all the rules and activities my therapist recommended - I should be okay by now!

And yet, when I tightly close my eyes, I can still remember it like it was yesterday - that horrible night three years ago. I got invited to a party that my boyfriend's family is hosting. As expected with high society people, Geoff's family threw a lavish and fancy party. The ambiance was lively, the decorations are in gold and appears to be sparkling and the food is as what they termed "to die for". I was introduced to more relatives and friends than I can manage to remember and I was enjoying it.

Then he came - the one person I detest, Councilor Edmond Pisante. I knew him from before, back when my parents were alive. He was my father's apprentice - a political aide when he was twenty years old. He was intelligent and ambitious, then and now, which to me is a lethal combination.

As soon as he saw me, he purposely navigated towards me. He said hellos and pleasantries on the way, but his eyes were on me. And when he reached my side, he hug me a little too tight for my liking.

"Nicole, what a pleasant surprise!", he said.
I can only smile and hide my disdain.

"Nice meeting you here, sir," I politely answered. "You remember my boyfriend Geoff and his parents, Ambassador and Mrs. Vimeos?"

"Of course, of course. Thank you for inviting me. It's a great party", he readily replied.

As soon as the conversation turned to politics, Geoff and I excused ourselves. We headed to their library to make out, like teenagers hiding from the crowd. We were having a great time on our own, when he was called to do a short speech. I urged him on, saying I will still be here waiting for him.

I was fixing my make up when Councilor Pisante came. He already have that ready and bright smile, that actually looks lewd to me.

"Nicky, why do I get the feeling you're deliberately hiding from me?" he asked.

"It's actually not just a feeling. It's true sir, I really don't want to talk to you or be in the same room with you. So, can you please leave? Geoff will be back here anytime soon and I don't want him to see you here", I said.

His eyes turned dark and cold as he marches towards me. "Why do you hate me that much huh? What have I done wrong to make you feel this way?" he said angrily.

"Oh, you didn't think I would forget how you tried to embezzle our money and take over the company?" I asked him. "Too bad for you, I caught you ahead of time. Now, go away!"

"You think you are so high and mighty?" he lashed at me. "Let's see if your high society boyfriend will still fancy you after I spoil you for him!"

He surprised me when he pushed me - I hit the wall so hard, I lost my balanced and fell. He was kneeling down and was trying to rip my underwear when it happened.

My body became stiff and I started to feel funny. He was taken aback when I started convulsing - jerking and twitching, then I lost consciousness.

When I opened my eyes, I was in a large sofa with Geoff by my side holding me, and his parents were thanking Councilor Pisante for saving me while most of their guests were watching him in adoration. They all thought of him as a saviour - a hero.

That night, I took a rape kit exam - it came back negative. He hasn't rape me yet, but I know he will try anything to force me into marrying him. Seeing the gleam in his eyes - I know the monster that hides inside.