Chapter 21: Back to School

Kirishima's parents return around 8, saying the whole quarter of the town's power is out and that we're welcome to stay over, but I decline. The train station is in a place that still has power, so it should still be operating.

Bakugo grumbles that he's not letting "these idiots" keep him up past midnight again and immediately walks out the door. Surprisingly, Kirishima's parents chuckle lightheartedly at his outburst, having grown used to him. I stay for a few more minutes, illusing my voice to politely introduce myself before putting my sopping wet shoes back on.

Mina decides to walk home as well, seeing as she lives in the same town as Kirishima and it's not too far to her house. She also offers for me to stay over, but I once again decline. I think I'd prefer to be by myself for a while.

Kiri lends me an umbrella to get me back home dry and I thank him before giving him a quick hug and slipping out the door. I walk with Mina to her house, sharing the umbrella's coverage and then head to the station.

I sit on the train by myself, listening to music and ponder the events of the night. Not having to be social with people for just a few minutes seems to calm the tension in my nerves. I only notice the twisting in my stomach when it goes away, for once feeling relaxed.

Maybe the numbness was just the first part of healing. Maybe I'll be able to feel relaxed now.

But why does this feel different from when I opened up to Reina and Ochaco? Why am I still FEELING numb inside my brain? It's like my body is relaxed, my brain seems to know what it's doing for itself, and my conscience is just drifting along, watching.

But again, this can't be too bad, right? I'm not feeling sad or anything. Sure, I might've felt like I needed to punch something earlier, but I didn't!

Sure, I tried to hit Bakugo a few times...

But he deserved it. I shouldn't complain.

Why did I get so vulnerable around him? He sends people death threats every day. I should be used to them.

But it's still good I stood up for myself. Maybe I'm becoming stronger.

Maybe I'm settling into who I'm meant to be.

Maybe that's why it's easy.

I get off the train at my stop, opening the umbrella and walking back home in silence. I examine the puddles and the circles made by raindrops each time they're hit.

My dirty converse splash along evenly and I take in a deep breath of the night air. The smell of gasoline and fried food fills my lungs. I sigh, remembering the smell of grass and dirt and spring rain from my home with Mom and Dad.

It's been six years. The memories are starting to fade. But I don't want to forget.

Except that day.

The memory haunts me relentlessly. No matter how hard I try to forget.

It's holding me back.

Mom? Dad? If you're out there...I need your help to forget. I just hope you'll forgive me if that means letting go of the good times too.

I fumble with my keys before opening the door. The lights are out, as I knew they would be. Mic was at the school today to sort out paperwork and then went immediately out on patrol. Now, he should be at his studio, doing his radio show.

Apparently when we go back to school, we'll get a look at our internship offers.

I'm sure I didn't get any. Who would want someone who couldn't even get to the final round?