Reason Why I Run

Fields of grass. Stretches for miles. No shoes. Rain. The sun is setting. All we can do is run until our lungs burst.

I'm alone. My feet ache as I step on twigs and pebbles. My jacket flows behind me as I sprint to the woods.

I can hear them behind me. They aren't slowing down. If anything, they're getting closer. My hair whips around my face. I can't stop now. Hiding is not an option. I have to run.

My ankles are soaked. Mud speckled my pants, and my shirt is fluttering as I continue to dash through the trees.

The sun is gone. The moon is bright but gives little light. Branches scrape my cheeks, but I don't stop running. They're right on my trail, but I still can't see them.

He's holding his hand out for me. His eyes are worry-stricken. He yells out to me, telling me to run just a little bit faster, to meet him so he can save me.

Our hands meet and we run together. We're so fast. Faster than the wind. The sound of our labored breathing is no match for the sound of the roaring winds in our ears as we run, and never stop.

I can't hear them anymore. All I can feel is his hand stroking my own. He knows.

We slow down. I told myself that I'd never stop running as long as I was with him, but that also meant that I would stop running if he did.

He points to the trapdoor by the large willow tree. I shake my head.

"They'll find us." I say.

"They won't find you."

"Us."

"You." He says. "They won't find you."

I shake my head again. "I won't stop without you. I said that'd I would run with you."

"Well I'm not letting you."

"I'm going with you."

"No," He whispers, opening the door to the bunker.

"Please, don't do this." I beg. "I did so much to find you."

He cups my cheek with his free hand.

"You'll find me again."

Tears fall. He wipes them away.

"They're getting closer," He mumbles. "Get in."

I step down two rungs on the ladder.

"Stay. Please." I say one more time, but I know his answer.

"You're the reason I run; why I never stopped running."

He let's go of my hand. I feel so cold without him. I step down the last few rungs. He smiles, and closes the hatch.

And then he runs.