Ch1

I can finally go to see her...I've prepared the modified universe door to go back two years in our own universe, now all I need to do is go through.

The others told me not to go against the laws of physics, that it wouldn't be possible.

There were at least thirteen other project groups working on developing new uses for the "universe distance door" that was created nearly fifty years ago. Back then, it went to a world called "Earth", which I hear is the same kind of name like how we call our world "Earth". The people there were far ahead of us in technology, and we brought one back to bring us further into the future. She brought a lot of things: war, technology, greater equality...but no one knows what had happened to her. She did come up with a fun term for electronic and magic technology together..."technomancy", she said it was called. Apparently, she had to change the word into our language from her own...sadly, the term hasn't caught on but a few still use it. I quite like it, and my friends make fun of me

So now I stand here in a lab, one of many, playing with the door technology that was left alone for so long.

The others have already begun to search for and find other "universes", something we didn't have a word for until we found another one. I read reports of another universe that lead to an "Earth" with very technologically simple humans. Hopefully, we leave them alone. And another more recent finding of a barren "Earth" where they have yet to find anyone or anything besides eerie ruins of a civilization.

My door will be different. I look back around me, taking in the fine details one last time before I make the trip.

My assistant stands behind a wall with glass filling the top half, standing with his notepad ready to report any issues that he observes or reads from the constant data streaming in. Beyond him is the door to leave this large lab room, which eventually takes you back above ground and into the cold tundra. We're at least half a day away from any major city.

Inside this room, inside the testing area, I stand. There's the chair where I had the machine read my entire mind, searching my memories to better locate my destination in the past. It took a long time, but we cataloged every memory we could recreate and found that day I wish to remake. Hopefully, I can use this door to walk back in time to that morning, prepare for the attacker, and save my girlfriend.

Next to the chair, which is covered in cables and capped with a massive scanning block bigger than the rest of the chair, sits even more wires and cables. Many lead to the computers that line the walls beyond this testing area, which are further supported by the room next to this one, filled with huge supercomputers. The rest of the cables and wires lead to the distance door, which we plan to let me travel time and space within this universe.

The door, however, is not what we'd traditionally call a "door". There's nothing there but a mass of cables surrounding an open space on the polished granite floor. But when activated, there will be a ball of light. If this door works as it should, then walking through the strange blue-white light will bring you to the other side. If you get really close without going in and look carefully, you can see a little bit past the door.

We are supposed to just see if we can observe anything on the other side, and report our findings without going through.

I call out to my assistant to activate the door, and a few minutes later I'm standing a few feet away as the light starts to shine. I have a few cameras attached to me, and I'm holding a scanning device shaped like a rod to search for other kinds of emissions, such as heat and sound.

After half a minute, when my assistant finally took a deep look at the data coming in on his notepad, I give in to my temptations. I drop everything I was holding, and I go in.