Ch6

I stumble out of the door and sprawl out onto the bare floor between the cables. Blood from my wound starts to dribble out from my pant cuff. Even more is spilling from the hole in my thigh.

It was a grazing shot. Guns aren't that effective nowadays, and they weren't that great two years ago. A common thief like the intruder I stopped could only afford a crappy pistol.

The poor man...He must have been one of the poor and possibly homeless peasants that filled this city. His family probably had to move inward after all the automation of agriculture in the last generation. He didn't even try to use magic to fend me off, resorting to that simple gun...I pity him.

But I do not forgive him, not the him who shot and killed the most important person in my life.

I pull my leg in close as I sit on the other, and try to patch up the wound with some cloth from my lab coat. A simple cut of air was enough to separate what I needed from the bottom.

It's a good thing I did not kill him, though. That would have changed too much...

I wonder if time tries to reassemble fragmented changes back into a similar stream...

I wince as I cinch my leg firmly to slow the blood loss. If only I were better at using spells, I could seal my wound more simply.

There's banging in the distance...must be the security door. I mustn't waste any more time. I had to take a break to reduce any mistakes while stopping the attack. Now I need to go and rescue her, so that time will still stay the same...and fake her death, somehow.