Ch2

There is a bright shine. It's just like the door I went through a year ago, the remade prototype that went to the first other "Earth". But as I adjust, I see a familiar sight.

I didn't live in a nice, expensive home. At the time, I just wanted to save money. But my job paid me well enough for something bigger than an apartment, so I let myself have a nice little one-story house in a not so nice neighborhood. At least it was close to the train station.

I was now in that house again. When I last lived here, I couldn't stand it anymore...losing my love was too much for me, and being reminded of her every day from the memories we had shared here forced me to sell it and rent out a studio across town. But I suppose it was my fault for picking a place on this edge of town...cheap but unsafe.

A few steps further and things started to come back to me...that's our bed, covered in pillows, but never enough blanket to share...that's the TV we would watch movies on before falling asleep...there's the bookcase full of novels she loved...there's the closet full of her clothes...my desk where I liked to do lab work after I came home...the window we always closed and kept blinds covering...even the carpet was so nostalgic to me now.

I heard her down the hall...and it brought me to my knees. It couldn't really be her. It was like any day when she'd call for me to get out of bed or she won't make me anything...

She used to make the best bacon. Her eggs were never so perfect, so I always asked for them scrambled...but man could she cook meat. I began to smell the bacon and sausage. Even the lighter scent eggs with cheese drove nails of hunger into my stomach. I tore off the cameras, pulled myself up off my knees, and went to the door.