𝟎𝟎𝟏. 𝐏𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐓 𝐈𝐓 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐊

◝.*・゚

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄

❝ 𝘱𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘣𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘬 ❞

◝.*・゚

1993, 𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘳𝘦𝘨𝘰𝘯

                𝐊𝐚𝐢'𝐬 𝐟𝐚𝐯𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐛𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤. The eerie tone that took form in midnight skies and moonlit waves crashing against sandy shores. Black like the bruises he was left with if Joshua caught him siphoning, black like the dried sticky blood that would stain his torso.

Perhaps he was fond of the colour because black was the colour of absence, a tone associated with loneliness, with negativity, with being misunderstood.

Even in a house rammed with eight, yammering relentless siblings, Kai felt excluded, as if the four walls surrounding him were nothing more than iron bars.

He felt like a prisoner in his own home- if he could call it that. A place that was supposed to be warm and inviting only left him feeling void and cold.

Most of the time Kai stayed in his room, away from Joshua's cruel glare, away from Marissa's snotty comments, away from Jo's grating sympathetic gaze.

The whole ordeal was overall draining.

Even when he'd been a child, he'd found it hard to relate to any of his siblings, to understand them. He couldn't understand why they'd get so upset, so unsettled by the smallest of things.

He hated it when they cried, even Jo, while the rest of the family would usually hug and comfort his crying sister, Kai would walk out the room in irritation, finding the whole ordeal pathetic.

It had only been when his grandpa had died and he'd miraculously been allowed to attend the funeral, when Kai had realised he had been the only one in the entire room who wasn't upset.

Some of the funeral guests had been weeping, some sniffling or holding back their tears, but not him.

Even Joshua had been emotionally rattled, his adams apple bobbing as he wrapped an arm around Jo's shoulder, allowing his treasured daughter to sob into his suit jacket.

Kai could vividly recall the ugly, breathless sobs that had left Josette's lips on the day of the funeral, his own brows had been furrowed in what could only be described as bewilderment.

That had been an awakening moment for Kai. Despite his grandpa changing his diapers, taking him to the park, buying him birthday presents and treating him with a kindness his father never showed, Kai didn't care.