ψ 1 ψ

"donghyuck! move your lazy ass!" renjun yelled at his best friend who was once again procrastinating.

"leave. me. alone."

"you need to go! think of it like that, the quicker you go, the quicker you're back." renjun tried to cheer him up.

"i don't want to go. so, i won't go."

"every boy has to. if you don't, they'll come and force you."

"i don't care." donghyuck grumbled in response.

donghyuck had, as every young merman, to go to the surface for a whole month.

it was a rule that had been settled centuries ago, when people from the surface had stolen the trident, symbol of royalty for mermaids. since then, every male mermaid teenager had to leave the sea and to spend one month above the surface to look for the trident. nobody had actually found it.

the merman who would find the trident and bring it back underwater would be crowned king and have all powers. this person will be the master of the sea.

a lot of people had tried bringing a fake trident, to become the king, but these people had always been punished for this act. the real trident was special. very tall, golden, shining bright when it is near a mermaid and giving to its owner all powers.

every merman wanted to go to the surface and search it. deep inside, everybody wants to be a king and rule a whole world. but it wasn't donghyuck's case.

donghyuck despised the surface and the people living there. he had no intentions of going there, nor finding this trident to become the king. he would rather stay under the sea with his best friend, having fun and not caring about the surface.

"donghyuck, you need to go. i swear it's not as horrible as you think." renjun sighed.

he had gotten one month above the surface already. he went to south africa, next to the cape of good hope. he had searched for the trident and had gotten back after a whole month because he hadn't found it, but his stay hadn't been bad. he could be used to having legs instead of his beautiful green tail. it was quite pleasant.

"but i don't want to meet those monsters on legs. they're horrible. i hate them."

"donghyuck, you don't need to be with them. i spend my whole month alone, rarely speaking to them. it's not a big deal. just go. you'll be back in 30 days."

donghyuck pouted even more. "i'm starting to hate you as well."

"lee donghyuck, your mission for a whole month will be to find the stolen trident. are you willing to abandon your tail for 30 days in order to help your own people find the symbol of royalty?"

"yes i am." donghyuck sighed barely glancing at the pastel blue-haired mermaid.

this merman was the one in charge of sending young mermen above the surface. her name was riley. she was the only link between above and under the surface. since the trident's robbery, she had been the only mermaid able to send young mermen above the surface. every trip to the surface was her doing. she had a perfect knowledge of the human world, and at the same time, a very important role in the underwater world. she was the one who decided whether you'll be back or not. that's why you should respect every single thing she said.