The Strangers - Miley

Miley paced around the camp, cursing Triton under her breath. That wimp. She hated having to do other people's work for them.

There was nobody else there. Everyone else was out doing whatever. They really only congregated at night. Triton was probably out getting surrounded by some kind of critter, screaming. Seeing how mad Miley was, he had walked off almost immediately after they had arrived.

Miley paced over to the food tent. She grabbed a box of state Ritz crackers and snacked on a few. Yuck. She definitely preferred rat meat. She took a book from the pile they had ransacked from the local library, and began to read. At least books were still around.

***

A few hours later, a sudden noise woke her out of her revelry. She realized she had fallen asleep. Miley looked up. A light blue minivan was screeching down the street. It stopped feet away from her. It was probably Jade, who was known around the camp for her bad driving. She stood up from the crate she had been sitting on, and approached the vehicle. 

There were two strangers in the car. More survivors. A boy and a girl, probably siblings, about her age, were inside. The girl opened the passenger side door, and hopped out. Noticing Miley, she walked over. The girl looked nervous.

"What do you want?" Miley asked, surprised at her own rudeness.

The other girl was looking around. "Are you the only one?"

"No. Everybody else is doing their own thing right now. Who are you anyway?"

The girl was twisting her long dark hair with a finger. Miley noticed she had nasty scars all over her face and arms. "I'm Biorna, and this is my brother, Oberon." She pointed to the car. The boy inside waved sheepishly. He hadn't even bothered to get out.

Miley raised her eyebrows, and tapped her foot. "So- Biorna- are you just going to take our food and leave?"

Biorna looked abashed. "No, of course not. We were hoping to stay here."

Miley didn't believe her. "Then why won't HE get out of the car?" she asked, pointing.

Biorna slapped herself. She went around to the back of the vehicle, and pulled out a clump of metal and cloth. Then she carried it over to the drivers side. Oberon pushed open the door, and Biorna unfolded the mess, and helped her brother to get out and sit down in the object.

It was a wheelchair.

Her brother was handicapped.

Thank you so much for reading! Out with another part soon!